Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tree sap kill ur paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tree sap kill ur paint?

my friend has a red volvo "something" R series. its very nice. he doesnt take care of his paint for **** though. well he parked underneath a tree and i guess tree sap fell on his car or something. it left nasty clear stains. it looked like someone poured syrup on his car. we went to get a mothers clay bar (which by the way SUCKED! that damn clay bar felt like play-doh. it was soft and mushy. it sucked!!!! i'm sticking to clay magic or meguiars for sure!) some wax and i hoped the clay bar would remove the damage.

of course it didn't. man i don't know what it did to his clear coat but it was bad. 40 minutes later we finished clay barring his car just because his paint felt like someone glued sand on it. his paint was so contaminated it was ridiculous! my dad's 92 burban is not that bad. well we came to my house to pick up my pc and my megs number 80. i had like 20 minutes of daylight to try and remove the damage on his hood. i think maybe 85% of it came off. we topped it off with some nxt. man it looked nice. his hood looked like a mirror. i'm gonna try to do the whole car sometime next week if the weather cooperates, and i will definitely get some pics up.

has this ever happened to neone? i park my car outside all the time but this has never happened to me. thank god! what kind of damage, based on what i described do yall think this did to the paint? is it permanent? it looked a lot like the damage caused by egg, but smaller individual damaged areas.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

my past experiences with tree sap is to just use a little bit of lock de-icer (free's up frozen locks in the winter) and it comes rate off, leaving no marks. i dont know if it is the same types ive experienced but this worked great for me. hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Fiery Features Director

I use Isopropyl alcohol to remove sap from my car. You have to be careful not to rub on the area covered by sap too hard because it can remove the clear coat. Put a little alcohol on the end of a cotton swab and soak the area for a minute. Once you feel the sap getting soft, you can gently rub it away with the cotton swab or damp cloth. Make sure to wash the area after applying the alcohol.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i always use alcohol like Zangel said. it'll take it off without hurting much else. if it's really bad, you can carefully use some lacquer thinner to get it soft and wipe it off....if the sap has been on there a while it can leave a ring around the outter edge of the sap where it sat, then you're screwed unless you can wet sand and wheel it out...
Old 01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i think it was on his car for a while, and like SS4MATT said it left a ring type thing. i dont know how well the #80 with my pc worked i have not seen it in daylight yet. should the pc work?

thanks zangel i will definately try that on his paint hopefully it works.

camaroz28aquino if all else fails i will try that, it sounds harsh and i dont want to ruin his paint. thanks all!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to a detailer and see how much they'll do it for, . but before you ask for the price, ask what kind of stuff they are gonna use on it, . . . . if you don't like the price jus buy the stuff yourself, i remember seeing "sap remover" signs in some of the local ones around my house, so im sure it can be done, . . good luck man
Old 01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the PC and # 80 probably won't take care of all of it ..

Zangel mentioned one way to do it .. slightly dilute the alcohol with water.. it will be easier on your paint.

another thing to try is and ice cube .. use it to harden the sap spot, then use clay bar to remove it .. clay works well on hard sap .. not so well on stuff that is still sticky.

Some people have good success with bug and tar remover also ..

there is not really a quick and simple way to get it off .. if soap and water doesn't remove it, you are going to have to work for a bit to get it ..

Quick Reply: tree sap kill ur paint?