Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

please help....clutch/slave problem

Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please help....clutch/slave problem

I just bought a 98 TA. it is suppose to have a fairly new centerforce dual friction clutch, a pro 5.0 shifter, and a 6 speed tranny out of an 02 with about 25000 miles on it. my clutch pedal has no resistance tell about half way down. the problem is, sometimes its fine, but sometimes, it wont go into gear. you can push in on the clutch, but the stick just wont go in gear, any gear including reverse. you can shut the car off, slides into gear real easy, then start it, and the car will kinda try and move, as if the clutch isnt engaged. i heard it may be my slave cylinder so i tried bleeding that. the problem didnt get better. the bleeder i used was the one about 2 inches above where the steel braided line attaches to the tranny. is there another bleeder for the clutch itself? maybe ontop of the tranny, or did i read that wrong ealier? please help with what i should do, if its my slave, what one should i go with? just a gm replacement or what?? thanks for any input!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

When my slave went out,it was leaking.If yours isn't leaking,try bleeding it more.Mine is a 2000 and that is the only place to bleed.Not sure on the 98.Good luck!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

could it be the clutch then???
Old 01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I used GM replacement slave and have had no problems
Old 01-13-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

wish i knew for sure...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

anyone else???
Old 01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Bleeding that thing is a real SOB. I know I've been through it when mine grendaded in my clutch Anyhow I would replace any parts with either AC Delco or GM parts. When I replaced my Centerforce DFX with the AC Delco it was much larger and engaged much more smoothly. I have learned by many mistakes that the "other" manufacturers sometimes don't make things quite right. There is a post where someone actually sells a 2 foot braided hose type bleeder crack valve that connects up near the master cylinder. It's about $100 if I believe but well worth it for any future problems you may have with having to crack the bleeder valve over and over and over. Also, read up on exactly "how" to bleed the hydraulic clutch pressure. If you're just cracking the valve and closing it you won't build any pressure and air will just keep getting back into the line. You've got to get about 2 buddies to help you. One under the car cracking the valve while one is pumping the clutch and closing and the third person keeps the master cylinder reservoir topped off. If you get ANY air in the line you might as well just find a mechanic with a mity-vac it works like a charm and in about 40 seconds you're done. VERY EFFICIENT
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the input, im callin a mechanic tomorrow!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

he said if its the clutch slave, i have to replace the master cylinder to, like a package thing, so its gonna end up costin like 500 bucks. true?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

you dont HAVE to, but its a good idea.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

sounds good, thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Well if the car has all stock components in it, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to replace the master too. However as the old adage goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it lol. I seriously doubt the master has to be replaced because it really isn't a wear and tear type part. Compared to the slave cylinder which is constantly put under hydraulic pressure etc. Just try to keep GM or AC Delco parts in it. I'm a big skeptic on the McLeod although I've heard rave reviews about them. Just a personal opinion. Good luck! My 6 speed story ended up costing me a tranny rebuild, a shipment to Texas, 2 clutches, a resurfaced then a new flywheel, a new slave cylinder(then it grendaded) then ANOTHER slave cylinder (hence the new flywheel and clutch) 2 trips to Reno, NV, a wrong clutch alignment tool, a new pressure plate, a claim reimbursement with CSK Auto (Kragen Auto), 10 weeks of downtime without my car, and a whole bunch of screaming and cursing. Hopefully your story goes better.

Total bill: $2,784.88
(gas mileage not included)
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

haha, thats like a 'priceless' commercial. thanks for the input. im hopin mine isnt to bad. i just want to be able to drive my car lol!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I am having the same problem
I bought the car with tranny bad so i took apart and tore down to find 3/4 fork broke and the rtime est in perfect condtion. The clutch looked new so i left it and put it back in.
The tranny works great but my clutch was doing same as yours so i pulled it and put a new slave in and that did not help.
I then put in new master and sill not working.
so i talked to everyone and there brother and they said my pressure plate is warped so I now have the tranny out for the third time.
i checked every thing now and found my pressure plate is not flat and my pilot bearing is warn so i will have all the parts in tommorrow and i think it will be fine then.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

wow, thanks man, ill make sure the mechanic looks at that.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Teching In

before you go and get someone else to look at it, it sounds like you have air in the line. you can bleed the system yourself. all you need is a vacuum pump and some time. you can do it by yourself, i did. but someone else to help you makes it go a lot faster. there is a website that shows you step by step with pics on how to do it. but i forget what it is. all you do is get the vacuum pump and put on the container it comes with(to prevent fluid from entering the pump) and one of the tips that fits into the hole in the bottom of the reservoir. stick it in to the hole in the middle at the bottom of the reservoir and apply 10-12psi, but not any more as this will reverse the gaskets in the master and slave. have someone start pumping the clutch at a slow steady speed, holding it on every 2 strokes with the clutch all the way in. you will start to see air bubbles coming out if there is any air in the lines. after a few minutes. release the pressure off of the pump and pull it out of the reservoir, but be careful not to suck up too much fluid to empty the reservoir. have an open container of fluid ready as you will need to pour some in when you pull out the pump. then pump the clutch a few more times and allow fluid to enter the system. then reapply the pump. do this until all of the air is out of the system and you should start to feel the clutch getting stronger. it took me about 30 minutes by myself to do this including getting set up, doing it, and cleaning up.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I put it back together and everything is working fine.
I got my parts from oreilly auto they have life time warranty 379.00 with flywheel.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys, ill prolly try it again tonight before it goes to the shop tomorrow. thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Read your post. Sounds like either air OR your pressure plate bolts are backing out. Is the clutch the origonal? If not, I'd lean towards #2.

You can test the Master cylinder easy. Disconnect the QD connecting the master cylinder line to the trans. Try and step on the clutch pedal. Should not be able to depress it. If you can, master cylinder is going bad.

Bleed the entire system. To properly bleed the master cylinder, you will need to pull it out of the car. Can use a MitiVac....but the only way I've ever been able to get ALL the air out is to pull the master, put it in a vice, and then use a MitiVac (or in my case, a pressurized bug sprayer full of brake fluid), to push the air through the cylinder and lines. Problem is...air likes to travel up, so it's hard to get out of the system with the master in the car, as you're trying to force the air DOWN.

If the master is good and bleeding the sysem doesn't fix the problem.....you'd have to pull the trans to change the slave. Same for the pressure plate bolts.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

i would not go with RAMS clutch package i have it on my car 98 Formula and i hate it!

Search this Thread