Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Is this possible?(Cut/Paste Wheel Fab)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this possible?(Cut/Paste Wheel Fab)

I have a set of black Z06 wheels with just a machined lip(not motorsports...see sig). They are OEM Z06 sizes. My question is..Is it possible to slice off the face of a wheel such as these(the spokes and hub) and have them welded in to say a 12 inch shell with zero or negative backspacing(at least in the rear)? We are not talking about slicing the face and butting a new rim up to it, rather inserting the face and integrating it INTO a new rim.

I am building a road racer out of a 1996 V6 Hardtop Camaro and am planning to run 12s or larger in the rear with a custom fender/mini tub fabrication. Although I am planning on running a more lightweight wheel for the track, the car is being fabricated in a way that it can be converted to street legal with a few simple modifications, thus I need a street wheel/tire combo.

Is this possible as far as fabrication, durability and reliability, and of course safety are concerned? Have you seen it or had it done? If so please provide whatever information you can. If this is possible does the cost outweigh just buying a new set of big *** expensive wheels?

Sorry for the long post I just want to try to save some money if possible and have a mock-up for my fenders because I would like to start them ASAP.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are 1 piece wheels right? i'm sure it can be done as anything can be done for the right price and I imagine it would not be cheap in the least. for the money you would most likely need to spend i would just get a custom set of wheels made to your exact specs and have something a little nicer than zo6 wheels (no offense to those with zo6 wheels )