View Full Version : crosshatched flywheel

01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I have seen this term used before and have no idea what is meant by "crosshatched." What exactly does it refer too? How many of you guys have done it and like it better than resurfacing? Where can I get it done?

01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Crosshatching refers to the distinct pattern after finishing metal. Most commonly, in the cylinder bores of an engine (using a ball hone to achieve the actual crosshatch pattern). In that instance, the crosshatching is used to help better seal the rings in the cylinder.

Sorry the picture is so big, but at least you can clearly see the crosshatch pattern.

A new or resurfaced flywheel may have this same pattern due to the way it was finished or lathed. This is a very thin finish.... Not going to have any positive effects, as it will be worn away fairly quickly.