General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Officially done, whats my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Officially done, whats my car worth?

77,5XXish miles. Needs new fuel pump, needs new water pump.

Immaculate inside and out, monsoon sound, 6-speed, leather, WS6, window sticker still in the car.

Went out to crank it and when I did I looked under the car after running it a few minutes...yep, cooland slowly coursing down the front of the block , why am I not suprised? Anyways, I want out, I want something I can trust, I want something that wont leave me stranded. How much do you guys honestly think I can get for the car after and or before fixing these 2 problems? NADA trade-in is 14.2K and "avg retail" is 16.7K, the tires are ok, but need replacing soon (5-10K miles at the latest prolly). The rest of the car aside from the problems is immaculate and very well cared for/maintained. Sooo...what's she worth?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

*update* trading the WS6 back for the mustang. +1 for reliability of a carb'ed FORD and for a dad who will trade...AGAIN, lol.
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What sucks is if you sell it here people know about your problems so it won't be worth as much as if you were to sell it locally. I'd say $15-16k would be max.
10 Second Club

Nevermind... what Mustang are you getting?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
Nevermind... what Mustang are you getting?
The 5.0 I gave my dad in exchange for this car. Its fully built but kinda slow (98.54 trap speed), uses 1qt of oil per thousand miles, has no sterio, but goddamn it runs! and nothing breaks on it. I just told my dad expect a WS6 in your driveway, ill drive the mustang and I really dont care WHAT you do to/with the WS6. He said "ok". So its kinda temporary (I think, not sure. He may like the WS6 so much he keeps it, in which case thats fine too except I will question his sanity.). LMAO, way to go on my 21st birthday

HOWEVER, if someone is ignorant enough to pay 15-16K for an 01 WS6, ill sell it! I know I sure got shafted. GM...NEVER AGAIN!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the stang, but you do know it will break just like everything else right?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Good luck with the stang, but you do know it will break just like everything else right?
If/when it does its easy as hell to fix and parts are cheap. IT hasnt given me NEARLY the trouble this POS has. Hell, its an 88 vs. 01. C'MON! As soon as I sell this WS6, if I find someone who would even want one with all the bad reviews they get from people like me and my friends and others with them always on block stands or getting worked on, you will see a "GM to import" thread

PS. I drove that mustang for about 1/2 year after I went carb and payed a total of $75 maintenance on it I belive. I have had this WS6 for 2 months and my maintenance EASILY tops 1K. Maybe in 2008 GM will have learned how to sling a wrench and build a car. I sure HOPE the new camaro is better or Ford will just bury it with the underpowered mustang...again. If the new Camaro is better, maybe I'll go that route. Until then, if I can find a nice S2K or 350Z or something in my range, im taking it! No more piston slap until full temp and breaking down on the side of the road every day for me!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Do you mind listing the problems you've had with it? Heres mine:

Porous block - had to replace the whole motor.

I win.

(I still have my car, and I love it!)
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
Do you mind listing the problems you've had with it? Heres mine:

Porous block - had to replace the whole motor.

I win.

(I still have my car, and I love it!)
T-tops that CONSTANTLY need silicon on them not to leak
IAC
Waterpump
Fuel Pump
TC randomly turns off (did it 2 times?)

This POS is just like every other GM I hear about, nickle and dimes you to death until you either sell it horridly reduced or paste a smile on your face and spout some bullshit about "builds character...been through a lot...put a lot into her and shes worth it"

Oh, I just got rid of my temp tags a couple days ago...
Old 01-15-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

isnt the waterpumps on LS1s notorious for crapping out anyways? even if the car had an easy life and easy 80k miles, its still gonna go out sooner or later. and its an easy thing to replace.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

My car has 140K on it and has no problems, never had any while I've owned it either. Of course, maybe the person before me had all the problems you did and fixed them for me
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
isnt the waterpumps on LS1s notorious for crapping out anyways? even if the car had an easy life and easy 80k miles, its still gonna go out sooner or later. and its an easy thing to replace.
Its not that, OR the fuel pump, OR the wheel bearings, OR the IAC...its the fact that all this **** happens every week. I have not owned the car for 2 weeks in a row where it didnt leave me stranded or have a drivability issue. It's just worn out is all. Worn out way too damn soon imho. Cars used to last longer, I know my 88 GT did. I got it with 140K on the OD and it still ran, although after sitting up for 2 years (yes, ran w/o a hiccup on that old gas too!) any car would need work...
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

The thing people dont understand is I have 0 brand loyalty. I want what works. If it says S2000 on the side, fine with me, if it says GM, ok, if it says SRT, okay. The point is, if it don't work, I dont want the ****. So far I have heard the S2K's "work" at least on both forums I am on LITERALLY the most prevalent topics are whether NXT or Meguirs is best and other mundane crap. Not "How do I afford to replace the fuel and water pump at once on my ******* birthday?" or "why did my wheelbearings die after 75K miles of easy driving?". This is BS.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
IAC
Waterpump
Fuel Pump

This POS is just like every other GM I hear about, nickle and dimes you to death until you either sell it horridly reduced or paste a smile on your face and spout some bullshit about "builds character...been through a lot...put a lot into her and shes worth it"

Quit crying like a little girl already. Obviously general matinence is the end of the world to you. Do us all a favor, push your car off of a cliff and get bent. It's not our fault you got yourself a lemon car that was obviously beat to **** and not well maintained. You should have done your research and known what to look for.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Quit crying like a little girl already. Obviously general matinence is the end of the world.
I have not yet even enjoyed the car and I am forking over hundreds of dollars in parts alone. This is NOT! normal. If it were just 1 thing, okay, but it seems that when 1 thing is fixed, the rest falls apart. All my roommates think its the biggest piece of **** ever. One drives a 99 Nissan with god knows how many miles and the other has an 05 Impala. Neither of them ever have **** like this. Its great coming home and telling them "oh yeah, water pump today, yeah, I know, yesterday was fuel pump day, its just getting the pumps out of the way, maybe the oil pump can go next." Pretty sad.

I checked with a few other LS1 owners. Apparently fuel pumps and water pumps and IAC's and wheel bearings all die easy on these cars. Anyone who says thats "general maintenance" has owned GM too long imho.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like everything crapped out thats gonna, car should be good for another 100k now

Its not like the car has 15k on the clock, **** gets old. Although you might have gotten a lil bit of a lemon
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
IAC
Waterpump
Fuel Pump

If you dont mind me asking do you work on it yourself? If so I find it hard to believe that you put over 1K into your car with just those probs. I have had mine over a year and put 13K on it and the only prob I had with is that the trasmission went out, yes its an A4 and I did have a stall in it. I bought the car knowing that I was gonna do mods to it and that it would break sooner or later. I just dont think you should label all GM's as a pos just cause you had a couple of problems with your car. Thats just my .02 worth
Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Sounds like everything crapped out thats gonna, car should be good for another 100k now

Its not like the car has 15k on the clock, **** gets old. Although you might have gotten a lil bit of a lemon
I thought that after the wheel-bearings and IAC. Apparently the fuel pump and water pump proved me wrong, its not that these hundreds of dollars of parts (Did you know that waterpumps are on national backorder according to Chocotaco? WTF!? looks like all of them are **** and dying.) It is the fact that im just scared of how much the next problem will cost. I bought this car so I could enjoy it, not have a project car. Why do you think I wanted to leave it STOCK!?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spare tire
If you dont mind me asking do you work on it yourself? If so I find it hard to believe that you put over 1K into your car with just those probs. I have had mine over a year and put 13K on it and the only prob I had with is that the trasmission went out, yes its an A4 and I did have a stall in it. I bought the car knowing that I was gonna do mods to it and that it would break sooner or later. I just dont think you should label all GM's as a pos just cause you had a couple of problems with your car. Thats just my .02 worth

Some stuff I do myself, some I dont. The wheelbearings a friend charged $75 to do...he spend more than that buying a slide-puller. I came out ahead (he works at a dealership). The fuel and waterpumps will be a biggy. $500 for the fuel from GM and $360 from elsewhere. Between college and other things I dont have the time or the place to drop the tank and tend to that so either a friend or someone else will get that chore. The waterpump, god knows thats a bitch. I did it on my 5.0 and it was soooo easy, on this thing HOLY CRAP! tonnes of stuff. Will prolly take half a day to get the radiator and all out and then there is the NIGHTMARE of getting the coolant in without hotpockets. Another LS1tech member almost killed their car doing it, and a mechanic (certified) was the one doing it! its a bitch!

Friend next door owns a 90K miles 00 TA "I used to love it, now its just a pice of ****" -Him

Other friend- "I bought my 01 WS6 and the cam bearings were already copperized and I had a ton of other things to fix"

Other friend- "after overheating it a couple times the mechanic finally got the pockets out of the cooling system, im glad I got the last waterpump, there is a high demand for them"

Me- "its a POS and will soon have all-new moving parts at this rate".

Just take a look at this board. 90% of the posts are "my XXX died".

Go to www.s2kca.com most of their posts are "I love my S, what should I name it?"

I hazard a guess that these 4th gens arent the most reliable things out there...
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

you know you can take the water pump to a radiator shop for it to be rebuilt. costs like $80-$100 i dont remember.