General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sad about winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sad about winter driving

Im trying desperatly to find a decent winter beater. today it snowed for the *first* time. when i say first i mean the first snow that i had to drive in and actully gave 2 ***** in a beer can about. it sucked. i was all over the place, i was terrified. its one of thoes things im not terrified of driving it off the road into a ditch but im terrified of ditching my Camaro. if i had some little **** box of a car i could care less if i ditched it. as long as i was ok and my car was still driveable. i would pull it out and be on my way. but with my camaro if i ditched it, even if it was minor damage, it would NEVER be the same. i woke up this afternoon and looked out the window and went into a fit of rage with the weather. i called it names i didnt even know i knew. i called it things that didnt even make sense. then tonight i read this. i am on one and only one mission. that is to get my girl in storage for the winter, under a nice car cover in my grandparents semi heated garage. not subjected to this stupid snow and shitty roads. shes too good for that. please, if you share my agony, post up. if you too feel a tear churning up when you see your baby covered in snow, vent here.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This winter in the east has been WEAK, so I doubt you will get alot of sympathy here. Those poor bastards in Denver are surely jealous that we are still running our cars in MID JANUARY. Winter beaters are still a great thing, as I drive a 91' F-150 with 150+ miles. Keep the faith, spring will be here in 3 months, and this is the first day in a while that the salt trucks are out.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car sits out in the nude with frozen rain at a paint shop with a new motor and everything else in it. talk about worried. city's closed for 2 days.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kaos_
my car sits out in the nude with frozen rain at a paint shop with a new motor and everything else in it. talk about worried. city's closed for 2 days.
Pittsburgh doesn't close unless there is 2 feet of snow, but I feel your pain. Texas got hit hard with that storm and there is not much you can do.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Pittsburgh doesn't close unless there is 2 feet of snow, but I feel your pain. Texas got hit hard with that storm and there is not much you can do.

if i had a winter car, i would have had my Camaro up the beginning of december. i feel for all thoes in texas and colorado. also any other states that got hit hard. but my point doesnt change just because we have had a mild winter compared to the ones we usually have. one light snowfall is enough to get me paranoid about my car. ive been through so many newspaper ads trying to find a car for around 1k that is in good shape for the price, and the only things i have come up with are cars that need this, that and the other. i dont want a car that i pay 1k for and sink another 1k in for parts to get it to run. or i would hav ejust spent 2k on a running car in the first place and saved me time fixing the SOB.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in the secondary snow belt south of Lake Erie, here is how I deal with winter.
86 Chevy K10 305 M4

Then go to Daytona in the bird the week between the 500 and bike week, when its cheap and not packed.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwsommmme pics! I have been driving the same truck since 1995! My T/A is tucked away in my garage and I am driving my P.O.S. :

Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

every thread i look at i see that truck ^
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

It hasnt snowed whatsoever in VA... i detailed my car this morning and it was semi warm, lol. I do hate seeing my car in snow but its not THAT bad if u really think about it. Just wipe off the snow the next morning and dry it off or w/e
Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default !

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
every thread i look at i see that truck ^
I know, I know, too much of the beater. It is winter, so this is all that I can post! I will sell you the truck for $5000; you know you love it, so send offers! Show me your beater and I will stop the showings of my winter baby. I will be in Granbury Tx for the next 3 months for work, so I will be in your area!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I would never drive my Camaro in the snow/salt. Not because I can't handle an F-body in bad weather (used to drive a 3rd gen in the winter), but because I couldn't stand to see it covered in salt. Not to mention, a FWD V6 is easier to handle than an F-body when the snow gets really bad.

I would walk to my destination before I'd even think about pulling the Camaro out of the garage in a snowstorm.

This is my primary winter ride. It's no LS1, but I like it .......

Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
It hasnt snowed whatsoever in VA... i detailed my car this morning and it was semi warm, lol.
whaaaaaaaaaaat? it's 20-somethin degrees out in the 757
Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

just get snow tires, you'll be fine
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
Im trying desperatly to find a decent winter beater. today it snowed for the *first* time. when i say first i mean the first snow that i had to drive in and actully gave 2 ***** in a beer can about. it sucked. i was all over the place, i was terrified. its one of thoes things im not terrified of driving it off the road into a ditch but im terrified of ditching my Camaro. if i had some little **** box of a car i could care less if i ditched it. as long as i was ok and my car was still driveable. i would pull it out and be on my way. but with my camaro if i ditched it, even if it was minor damage, it would NEVER be the same. i woke up this afternoon and looked out the window and went into a fit of rage with the weather. i called it names i didnt even know i knew. i called it things that didnt even make sense. then tonight i read this. i am on one and only one mission. that is to get my girl in storage for the winter, under a nice car cover in my grandparents semi heated garage. not subjected to this stupid snow and shitty roads. shes too good for that. please, if you share my agony, post up. if you too feel a tear churning up when you see your baby covered in snow, vent here.

I see you are not far from me (Columbus). My T/A is the only car I have right now. I put some good tires on it(Pilot Sport A/S) and 100lbs of sand in the back. I have not had any problems. I only drive about 6 miles to work, so its not far, but gets me through. I have been driving F bodies in the winter the last 5 years. only once was it kind of slick out and I had a little trouble, but not much. Good tires and some sand would be cheaper than buying another vehicle.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

its not a matter that i cant control it, but its one of thoes things where you never know. black ice and **** like that even the best driver cant totally avoid. i put new tires on it for this winter just in case and i got 4 16lb bowling ***** in the trunk. they werent put in there purposfully for ballast, i just put them there and forgot about them. last 2 years, i drove a 98 s10 ZQ8, 4 cyl 5 speed 3.73 gears and an open diff. i would get stuck in wet grass if i werent careful. we had icestorms and all the other **** that comes with winter, i never had a problem with it once i got out my hilly/shitty gravel driveway that was frozen with 3 inches of ice and no snow for traction. it would slide around on the road because of the lack of weight in the rear end, but i threw 150lbs of sand bags in there and went about my way. i was terrified of ditching it though. just like i am my camaro. im going tonight to look at an 83 olds cutlass for 500 bucks. its only got like 80k miles on it. my uncle has it so ill see if i cant knock him down a little more.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Its funny how one good snow storm can put the kybosh on everything! Lol I was looking into a second F-bod or vette considerin the last two winters in TO have been a walk in the park. Howver we been covered in snow/ice rain(which adds that much more thrill factor) since Sun, and reality is hitting. If I had had an F-bod or vette, I would still be sitting at home and even now,its way too slippery out, even the GTP on ify tires was kinda goin squirrelly at times(black ice)......I dont think I wanna find out what a 350 horse RWD car is gonna do in those conds!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Yeah, for the first time in a long time (maybe ever??), all of the Austinites are finally understanding what us "yankees" are talking about when we tell them just how $H!TTY Nitto DRs are in the cold!! Ironically, until we just got hit with this cold snap and subsequent potential snowfall, I was thinking of throwing the Nittos on the back, what with it having been in the 60s every day! Now I guess I'll be putting the snows on all four corners, and the hatch well gets 200# of speedy dry!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah im kinda missing my old festiva at the moment. How helpful is sandbagging/etc. the back?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I walked outside yesterday morning at 6AM to go to the gym and almost cried. Theres were icicles on my baby. She couldn't even see with ice on all her eyes(windows). I think I felt her shiver.

I need a fuggin honda
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
yeah im kinda missing my old festiva at the moment. How helpful is sandbagging/etc. the back?

Getting good tires will do more than just putting sand in the trunk. However, I can definitely tell a difference especially going around corners with the sand in the back. Just remember to take it out before racing. I left mine in and went at it against a 350z. I still pulled him nicely