Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 gto w/ t-56 conversion help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 gto w/ t-56 conversion help please

im looking to buy a conversion kit to put a t-56 into a 66 gto...I know people have done this but i dont know where i can getthe parts to make the t-56 work. has anyone done this on here? if so can you post pics? or does anyone know where i can buy the conversion kit?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

S&P, ATS, Hooker and BRP are a few of the major player in conversion parts.

The GTO is just a GM A body.. there are a lot of A-Body (and G-Body) swap going on here and and a lot of completed ones.. just search for the A-Body guys..

I built my motor mounts using the BRP Style mounts and modified the Trans X-Member.

Try using the Search for A-Body (GTO/Chevelle, etc) and also read the FAQ / Sticky's in this forum and you shuold get most of your answer on the swap on Wiring,PCM, mounts and other info.... Once you have done that.. and still have question.. fire away with your question then..
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he wants to install the T56 behind whatever motor the goat already has...

That Im not sure about. You'd have to check to see if the bellhousing would work...which I highly doubt depending on what motor you have... Then you gotta check around see if there is a bell housing adapter or special bell housing that will work.

Then you gotta figure out shifter location, and how to mound the hydraulics. I think I read something somewhere about being able to convert the T56 to a clutch cable...again something you want to look into.

Then the other big thing is seeing if the input shaft on the trans is long enough and all that jazz..

haha...basically I dont know i just wanted to respond to the thread. I always thought it was a cool idea to take old school muscle and slap in a modern 6 speed trans.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Justin
Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ghetto.. u might be right.. I might have read too much into it. LOL sorry..

There are a few good Company that market the whole kit with Trans.. Else you can try doing it with a LT1/T56, check with McLeod for the Bellhousing and adapter.

Not sure if any or all of these are sponors.. T56Rebuild is.. Other many not be.. so I can say.. but Google on "T56 Conversion" and you will get more..
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

yea..were looking to put a t-56 behind a old school 389 motor and was just curious if anyone new where i could get the bellhousing and all the other goodies to make it work
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

If you can use the stock LT1 T56 bellhousing I have one for sale pretty cheap. Lots of other t56 parts as well...
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Might try advance adapters. They do a lot of 4x4 stuff, but might have a solution. They can make one for the right $$$.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Launching!

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/GT...nstall-WU.aspx you may try looking around this website a little. i know this is for a five speed but they may make something for you.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I have heard of this being done with an ls1 t56 WITH the ls1 bellhousing. An adaptor was used to match the BOP bellhousing bolt pattern of the 389 to the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern of the t-56 bellhousing. These adaptos are availavle for about $50 from Jegs or similar places. A spacer the same thickness as the adaptor was cut to fit behind the throw out bearing to move it forward. IIRC a normal Pontiac flywheel and clutch was used. The bellhousing will need a notch cut in it on the drivers side to clear the Pontiac starter as the ls1 starter is mounted on the other side. Check out the forums at performanceyears.com I know I have seen information about this type of thing on there. Complete kits are also available from American Touring Specialties and McLeod has a really trick, but really spendy modular bellhousing setup. I would try to figure out how to make it work with the stock ls1 bellhousing to save some money. Be advised, however, that a t56 in an A-body will require you to hack up the floor and raise or build a new tunnel. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

i would have to second the performanceyears site. by far the best when it comes to anything traditional pontiac powered. i am "Puddles the Pontiac" over there. the biggest names in the poncho community are there often.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can get an adapter for a sbc bolt pattern you could use a t56 out of a lt1 camaro or t/a and use a center force fly wheel for a 6 speed and a 2 piece rear main seal like I did if the flywheel bolt pattern is the same a 2 piece rear main seal sbc. After that the clutch is no problem, use the master slave and line out of the same car the tranny came from, and it takes no electronics to run the tranny, if that matters. Good luck, I love the t56 in my truck behind my sbc.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Sorry I dont think you can use the lt1 style clutch. Adapting it to an SBC requires a special flywheel. With a Pontiac engine you only have one choice for type of flywheel. The ls1 clutch is more of a normal setup.

Quick Reply: 66 gto w/ t-56 conversion help please