General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Drain...can't track it down.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain...can't track it down.

It is pulling 103-105 mA when off. I pulled every fuse and relay that is under the hood..the only thing that dropped the draw were fuses and relays related to the cooling fans, but it only dropped to around 80-82 mA. I have yet to pull fuses from the panel near the door.

Is ~100 mA enough to kill a battery in a few hours? The most it will last is like 24 hours after a charge. It is fine while I drive, but if I let it sit for more than 3 hours it will be nearly dead (sometimes it will last for more like 6-8 hours). I have an Optima Red Top. This problem started when I had my stock battery, so I got rid of it thinking it was the problem, then the Optima started to die also.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having similar problems. My optima redtop died right after the initial start up after a h/c swap. ( Could have been because of repetitive cranking) I recharged it then tried to start again but it wouldn't. I took it to advanced and it checked out fine. All I know is you should try to charge in trickle down mode (2amps) or it could hurt the battery.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that sounds like too high of a current. You will draw around 150 ma until the RAP shuts off (something like 10 min, after shuting the car down), and then you should only draw around 50 ma. 99% of the time these problems are due to aftermarket stereo equipment and other gadgets, so double check any of these that you might have. Also make sure you don't have an interior light that is on all of the time.