Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What material would you use to build a fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What material would you use to build a fuel tank?

I am looking to build a custom fuel tank for my turbo project car. What materials are best to use? I would like to stay away from mild steel and use stainless or aluminum. What type/thickness should I be using?

Also, what is the crashworthiness of an aluminum tank? How about a stainless tank? The tank is going in my trunk behind the rear seat.

Thanks, -Dave
Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately Aluminum, they outlawed stainless tanks for marine usage years ago because the stainless has tendencies to develop cracks, Also aluminum is cheaper, and lighter....

I made stainless water tanks for someone once, one leaked after two years, the other never did. It was in a 32' Luhrs, which took a hell of a beating a few times, but I never had that problem with an aluminum tank.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But if you ever plan to run alcohol...it will corrode aluminum if you leave it sitting in the tank...in which case a plastic fuel cell is your best option.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, thanks for all the info.

I was under the impression that a stainless tank would hold together better than an aluminum tank in the event of a collision because stainless is stronger and more apt to bend (rather than break) than aluminum... is this accurate? I know how much a car's steel structure can move in a collision and I am worried about the structure hitting and rupturing an aluminum tank.

The alcohol is a good thought, however I don't plan on running anything other than pump gas.

Also, what grade/type and thickness would you use on an aluminum tank?

Last edited by FastKat; 01-21-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Other reason I suggest a plastic tank...say you build a metal one (aluminum or stainless or whatever else you choose to use) and when you finish it you fill it with water...so you find a leak, no big deal you dry the water out and weld it shut...now you fill it again, it's ok, so you install it and fill it up with gas.

Fast forward a year...you've driven it a lot, it's seen some vibrations and some heat cycles and some other wear and tear...and it develops a leak...now you gotta deal with purging that tank with argon a LOT before you try to weld it, and if you're anything like me, you'll still be IMMENSELY nervous the first time you start an arc with the TIG...they make expoxy's and other things to seal up tanks like that...but I hate doing that...so then if you're still anything like me, you say screw it and build a new one...and thats a pain in the butt...so thats why I'd stick to a pre-made fuel cell...they come in LOTS of different sizes and shapes.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I've searched around pretty good... plastic was definitely my first choice. I just don't think there is a plastic tank out there that fits the shape of the area I have to work with, let alone a sufficient sump for my application. Also, filling the plastic tank would be a problem because the top of the tank is only a few inches from the filler on the top of the quarter panel. Routing the filler tube to the stock fuel door would be VERY tough.

I'm not too worried about construction though... my uncle is very good welder with many years of experience. Check out what he did for my used cast aluminum oil pan... these things are notoriously tough to work with, but we didn't run into any problems. Look at the very bottom of the page for pics:

http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Other reason I suggest a plastic tank...say you build a metal one (aluminum or stainless or whatever else you choose to use) and when you finish it you fill it with water...so you find a leak, no big deal you dry the water out and weld it shut...now you fill it again, it's ok, so you install it and fill it up with gas.

Fast forward a year...you've driven it a lot, it's seen some vibrations and some heat cycles and some other wear and tear...and it develops a leak...now you gotta deal with purging that tank with argon a LOT before you try to weld it, and if you're anything like me, you'll still be IMMENSELY nervous the first time you start an arc with the TIG...they make expoxy's and other things to seal up tanks like that...but I hate doing that...so then if you're still anything like me, you say screw it and build a new one...and thats a pain in the butt...so thats why I'd stick to a pre-made fuel cell...they come in LOTS of different sizes and shapes.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like stainless myself (and use one). Look at Foose's car's and you'll see stainless. Go to www.rickshotrodshop.com for some impressive stainless tank pics.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I saw their tanks... they're pretty impressive.

I guess nobody knows what material tank will fare better in a crash?!

Originally Posted by onfire
I like stainless myself (and use one). Look at Foose's car's and you'll see stainless. Go to www.rickshotrodshop.com for some impressive stainless tank pics.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Yea, I saw their tanks... they're pretty impressive.

I guess nobody knows what material tank will fare better in a crash?!

I chose stainless for that reason. Rock crawlers use stainless (built by Rick). Stainless would be safer in a crash. Stainless, steel, plastic, aluminum all would be safe if properly designed like a fuel cell.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Cool.. Whenever you say properly designed like a fuel cell, do you mean a tank with a rubber bladder?

Originally Posted by onfire
I chose stainless for that reason. Rock crawlers use stainless (built by Rick). Stainless would be safer in a crash. Stainless, steel, plastic, aluminum all would be safe if properly designed like a fuel cell.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

I don't disagree that either metal can work well...I just figured it was an important point to make, and it certainly seems like your uncle can weld it together really well. I'm planning a stainless fuel cell in my own car...because where I want to put it locates it above a lot of angled sheetmetal so a pre-fabbed won't work for me, and I prefer stainless to aluminum...I can TIG either, but I have MUCH more confidence in my ability for it to be a strong weld that looks good when I weld stainless than I do with aluminum...I find it easy to put a pretty bead onto aluminum parts, but I never feel confident that it's as strong as I want it to be...if I had someone talented in my family that I could ask for help, then I'd put a lot more thought into aluminum...I use it on my intake piping, but that is only holding air...not several gallons of fuel (stock tank in my car holds 23 and I'd like to keep that capacity, because the range on the highway with that much gas is awesome).