Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharging C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging C6

A good friend of mine has an 07 C6... He is now considering the idea of supercharging it... His mind seems to be set on Lingenfelter because of the reputation they have...
I tried to explain he will probably see better results with a ProCharger and having it installed by MTI because we are in Houston...

What do yall think. ?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A ProCharger will run circles around a MagnaCharger. FWIW, I'd sooner do a Novi/Paxton or a twin turbo package, but that's me.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would send the C6 to Bob @ EPP and let him do his Procharger magic on it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks! Check out this C6. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=30 Bob
Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anywhere you go on this forum all you will hear about is bob, brent, and jake from exotic performance providing outstanding sales, service, installs, and tech info. theres a reason for that. These guys know there **** and there great to deal with. dont take any chances with a 50k plus vehicle. have him send it to exotic and get it done right the first time. take it from someone that learned the hard way!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Location: Born and raised in Houston, Tx...My Business is based in Seattle,Wa....but I "live" on the Interstates of America.

hm...

Last edited by KindaRich$; 01-22-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

We just finished a 07 vert that made 576whp @ 10psi with a A&A Supercharger Kit and tuning. I would go with a centrifical blower over a magnason unless you are working with a truck. Since you are in Houston I would go with MTI. They have made 700whp on a few stock bottom end ls2 motors from what I have seen on there site.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Location: Born and raised in Houston, Tx...My Business is based in Seattle,Wa....but I "live" on the Interstates of America.

I am the good friend CK9887 is refering to. He has his mind set on seeing me with the most power (the best numbers) for the most reasonably priced supercharger kit. (the cheapest)
I, on the other hand, am mainly concerned about reliability and a solid warranty from whomever installs the kit for me. And yes, perferably Lingenfelter, because they offer a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with the Magnacharger and their reputation is pretty much flawless. To me, it's worth the extra three to four grand to have the peace of mind, knowing my car is covered, warranties from the Factory and Lingenfelter.....
True, the ProCharger has better output numbers and may propel me into the relm of illegality sooner....but im not concerned about my Corvette trying to outrun a Jet.
Im a Trucker that dosen't drive my car much anyway.....
Can you guy's advise, now that you know "The other side of the story?"
Thanks...
Ps...& Ck Thanks for the post...
Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Personally i'd leave it to MTI or EPP & go procharger route just my .02

peace
Old 01-22-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KindaRich$
I am the good friend CK9887 is refering to. He has his mind set on seeing me with the most power (the best numbers) for the most reasonably priced supercharger kit. (the cheapest)
I, on the other hand, am mainly concerned about reliability and a solid warranty from whomever installs the kit for me. And yes, perferably Lingenfelter, because they offer a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with the Magnacharger and their reputation is pretty much flawless. To me, it's worth the extra three to four grand to have the peace of mind, knowing my car is covered, warranties from the Factory and Lingenfelter.....
True, the ProCharger has better output numbers and may propel me into the relm of illegality sooner....but im not concerned about my Corvette trying to outrun a Jet.
Thanks...
What is it that you want your C6 to do? What I mean is what are your performance expectations, or do you have any? A roots or screw will make more torque at 2000 rpm than you can use and will produce boost at part throttle. That's something that may or may not be useful. Its deffinitely hard on tires and gas. Excessive low end cylinder pressure can also lead to detonation. especially with non-intercooled boost. Your LS2 is 11:1 so that limits performance available on pump gas.

A centrifugal will make more torque at 2500 than your tires can handle in second gear, making for a fun drive and its just getting started. The boost is intercooled and the increase in power is more gradual, but still very effective for street driving. The intercooled charge and higher efficiency compressor (it actually is a compressor unlike a roots) allows for a more aggressive tuneup and boost level on pump gas. The fact that higher boost comes with higher rpm allows the engine to operate at a greater overall power level with the same compression. The centrifugal setup won't produce much part throttle boost, it usually takes 3/4 throttle or so to see it. There when you want it, just cruising when you don't.

Maybe since you're a truck driver you can arrange for a demo drive at various tuners so you can see and experience the options available. You may hear various stories about which is superior and some outright untruths as well. Until you experience it for yourself you just won't understand what all the fuss is about.

Any forced inducted C6 will run hard regardless.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by andereck
What is it that you want your C6 to do? What I mean is what are your performance expectations, or do you have any? A roots or screw will make more torque at 2000 rpm than you can use and will produce boost at part throttle. That's something that may or may not be useful. Its deffinitely hard on tires and gas. Excessive low end cylinder pressure can also lead to detonation. especially with non-intercooled boost. Your LS2 is 11:1 so that limits performance available on pump gas.

A centrifugal will make more torque at 2500 than your tires can handle in second gear, making for a fun drive and its just getting started. The boost is intercooled and the increase in power is more gradual, but still very effective for street driving. The intercooled charge and higher efficiency compressor (it actually is a compressor unlike a roots) allows for a more aggressive tuneup and boost level on pump gas. The fact that higher boost comes with higher rpm allows the engine to operate at a greater overall power level with the same compression. The centrifugal setup won't produce much part throttle boost, it usually takes 3/4 throttle or so to see it. There when you want it, just cruising when you don't.

Maybe since you're a truck driver you can arrange for a demo drive at various tuners so you can see and experience the options available. You may hear various stories about which is superior and some outright untruths as well. Until you experience it for yourself you just won't understand what all the fuss is about.

Any forced inducted C6 will run hard regardless.

Good luck!
Nice write-up, Mark!

Thanks for everyone's input regarding our services, we really appreciate it!

Check out this 2004 C5 346/ProCharger D-1SC that we built, which is being run hard on a roadcourse.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
This car sees many more wide open throttle miles in a weekend, than many cars do in their lifetime.
If you're ever in the Fort Wayne area, located halfway between Indy (Colts) and Chicago (Bears) stop by. I'll see if I have one of these cars around that an owner wouldn't mind me giving you a demo drive. Bob

Here is an LS2 GTO that we just installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC on, which also already had Kooks headers on. We just tuned this car yesterday. Bob
Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KindaRich$
Thanks...

Hi,

Since your main concern seems to be reliability, the Magnuson will be hard to beat.In regards to the warranty, you should call Lingenfelter and ask them some specific questions about their warranty on the Magnuson package. I believe the 3/36 warranty covers the blower itself, but that's it. I have a lot of experience with Magnuson blowers, and LPE cars in general, so if you would like to ask me some questions, feel free to contact me.
Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed @ Late Model Speed
Hi,

Since your main concern seems to be reliability, the Magnuson will be hard to beat.In regards to the warranty, you should call Lingenfelter and ask them some specific questions about their warranty on the Magnuson package. I believe the 3/36 warranty covers the blower itself, but that's it. I have a lot of experience with Magnuson blowers, and LPE cars in general, so if you would like to ask me some questions, feel free to contact me.
Hope this helps,
Ed

I agree with ED, sounds like the Magnuson would be the better route for you, It does produce more low end torque than a cetrifugal supercharger, but that might be what you want since torque is what gets the car in motion. I disagree on the post about a centrifugal taking 3/4 throttle to start producing boost, I have an LT1 with a D1, and the boost is instant! as soon as I am depressing the pedal the boost is also climbing..
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want more than 600 rwhp, go with a centrifugal. If you are happy with 500-550 rwhp, the roots blower is much more fun to drive. They just do not make the big peak HP numbers like a D1 Procharger will. Keep in mind that the more power you want, the bigger the fuel system will be, and the stronger your drivetrain must be to accomodate those gains. The rearend in the stock C6 shatters pretty easily even with 450 hp, so budget in a DTE rearend too.

I love the torque response of my Magnacharger, full boost at 2K rpm, and pulls no problem to 7K rpm (550 rwhp @ 5 psi).
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Correct
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bad95killer
Personally i'd leave it to MTI or EPP & go procharger route just my .02

peace
I agree with that statement!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by andereck
A roots or screw will make more torque at 2000 rpm than you can use and will produce boost at part throttle.
I have NEVER EVER in my lifetime heard of someone drive a car and say, 'you know what, I've just got too much torque'!

I spent a few minutes comparing the dyno plots from the ProCharged kits to the Magnuson/Lingenfelter installed kits and the area under the curve is impressive.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Well golly, all I can say is instead of driving a dyno graph find a way to get behind the wheel of both types of superchargers and evaluate that.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

LS2 GTO with ATI ProCharger D-1SC at 7.5 psi of boost, and Kooks headers and a good exhaust system. Note: This is on a Mustang Chassis Dyno, in which a stock LS7 Z06 will produce 420 to 440 rwhp. Bob

Quick Reply: Supercharging C6