Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI vs. Head/cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI vs. Head/cam

just curious what you guys think. im sure its alot cheaper to go head/cam compated to FI, but FI is so much more fun.

what do you guys think?

do you still DD your FI car?

procharger, supercharger, or turbo?
if the motor has 50k original does the whole motor need to be redone for a FI?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure this question has been beat into the ground and answered since the dawning of this website...

I'm still working on my DD Turbo car...should be done within a week or two. I went with FI because of the install times (STS that is) and the cost when comparing to a high-performance NA car wasn't that far off.

To do it right, a good Cam setup could cost close to $1000 when you must consider the valvetrain, rocker-arms, push rods, oil pump...etc.
A set of heads could be $1500 for middle of the road (still good though).
If you do that stuff, well then you need to get the air in and exhaust out efficiently, so add Long-Tubes, "cat"back, bigger TB and intake manifold...that will run you about $1500 for not top-of-the-line stuff.
Now you have a fast car right??...wrong...upgrade your fueling components and add a tune...another $1000.
Oh crap, on the dyno, my 10 bolt burst into flames...add another $2000.

So now, you're putting down mid to upper 400s with RWHP and probably comparable torque numbers.

So, on top of the $7k (many of you are familiar with what I'm talking about), you probably spent every Saturday and Sunday for 2 months installing it.

I went FI and have spent around $4500+ thus far...all I have left to do is the tune ($400 more). I have not done the Rear-End yet, but even so, I'm pushing $7k when it's all over with, just like the NA application. The good is, I'll have the ability to upgrade easily for more power in the future and off the bat, I should be pushing upper 400s for power and maybe over 500 for torque.

So, to answer your question, do a search...