Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Sucks

i just put my heads on and fired it up. brought the tempature up and exhaust starts to smoke. ALOT. apparently im burning water. oil is fine and plugs are dry but there is a shitload of water being burned out the exhaust. heads are coming off in a couple of days. pressure checked and fixed and back on. anybody had this happen before. im guessing that the port work when to close to the water port and is dumping in the exhaust port and straight out the exhaust. this sucks
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much time have to ran the engine since the heads were put on?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

very few minutes
Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well its gonna smoke and **** for a little while, thats normal. Give it some running time and keep an eye on your oil psi and coolant temps.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Yea i agree but, may also not be a good idea. A local shop here had some heads from Patriot & also had the same problem, they over ported, leaked coolent into the cyclinder... On the third start up BOOM! killed the motor.

I have Patriots as well, i dont have that issue but i did have a coolant leak in the wierdist place.... It was coming out of the bolt that holds the dip stick in, Odd...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Read my thread from a while back:

Coolant in Exhaust prob

I ran into the same thing. Ordered new ported heads, got them on, started the car and proceeded to pump about two gallons of coolant out in my driveway.

I feel your pain, it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

engine builder i used sold me the felpro head gaskets. the passenger gasket had to be flipped over to get the water port over the right holes in the back of the motor. i didnt like this but this is what my builder told me. has any one else heard of this. maybee the problem but my plugs are dry, that why i think maybee the water jackets is leaking
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not real familiar with the FelPro gaskets, but flipping it over doesn't seem quite right. Could be wrong though.

I confirmed my leaking jackets by just pulling the intake off. Had water in the intake runners of #2, 4 and 6. Plugs were wet on all three holes.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

going to start the tear down tonight. i'll let you know when i find out what it is. what are the chances that the head gasket is leaking and the plug is drying up before i get it pulled out of the motor???
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

pulled the pasenger head last night. it apparent that there was water in the cylinder, intake runner was wet but the plugs were all dry??? kinda weird. oh well taking the heads to the shop to be pressure checked. if they are okay then i guess the gasket was leaking. gasket looked good. no marks or cuts. pulled right off the block wasnt even stuck. dont know. hopefully i will know more once the heads are checked.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I'm a fossil here, so pardon the old tech. Nonetheless, on an old '65 GT350 I did about 30 years ago, I had a head gasket fail on startup. That was enough to do what you just described.

Haven't torn down the LS1 yet. Heck, it isn't even to 100k! But if there's a water passage between the block and heads, it could be a suspect. In my case, the torque wasn't done right. Some damned fool apparently didn't look at the torque order in the shop manual, and just went in what seemed logical order. Second time, using the shop manual, it worked well. Engine was still running last I heard. You'd think it was the first high performance the idiot worked on. (Yep - it was me.)

California laws being what they are, I haven't been able to change the intake or anything on the Vette. Maybe if I ever move outta here.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

first exhaust port on the passenger head had a pin hole leak between the port and the water jacket. both gaskets were leaking water. getting the head back tomorrow and new GM GASKETs and going to try this again. should be running by saturday afternoon.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got that worked out man. I know from experience how frustrating that can be.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck, hope it works this time around!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

went ahead an bought the GM gaskets and ARP bolt kit. hope i get the heads on Friday, i'll be driving again but Saturday. should be better this time
Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

bolted everything back up and fired her up. everything seems good this go around. have started several times and drove around several times. no leaks and fluids are holding. no smoking exhaust and boy does she feel good. cant wait to get the new duals on and a good tune. the car needs a tune bad. have added several things since the last tune and needs to be checked. glad this is over but glad i did it. thanks for the help. cant wait to get a tune and she what she runs.