Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Front fender day running lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front fender day running lamps

Has anyone else besides myself had a reccurring epedemicwith their day running lights keepblowing out. Maybe frommoisture build up and if you have, how did you correct it?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Put a switch on them and just turn them off. I used to have a write up on how to do it. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

I couldn't find mine but here's a link to another:

http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=61
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Default lights

No I think that is retarded that I should shut off my lights with a stupid switch. I hate when people just wanna bypass the problem instead of actually fixing it. there has to be a way to CORRECT the issue.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by linegtdt52
No I think that is retarded that I should shut off my lights with a stupid switch. I hate when people just wanna bypass the problem instead of actually fixing it. there has to be a way to CORRECT the issue.
Well, what IS stupid is that GM decided to mount the damn light bulb socket in the bottom of the lens. When moisture builds up, is runs right back into the socket and shorts it out and may even work it's way back to the horn and other stuff like it did on my car.

Seems like a free fix is better than replacing bulbs and sockets all the time. The sockets are fawking expensive.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So by switching it off, you have no turn signal. Why do that? Unless the switch turns off only the DRL, but then that doesn't fix the problem.

I've used Dielectric grease to help retain moisture out of the sockets, but still had to replace both sockets twice. This second time, I also used RV Silicone Sealant around the bulb and the socket, which formed a very tight seal. I plan on buying new lamp housings because both are foggy and have a parallel crack, which may or may not be the cause of leaking moisture because the crack is in between the lens.
When I install the new housings I will use RV Silicone Sealant around all of the edges to help prevent water/moisture from entering. Hopefully, by doing this, the sockets will last longer, as I just replaced the one socket five months ago.

GM Parts Direct sells the sockets for $30. Part#12159662

Really, though, I don't think there is much you can do.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

My drivers side turn signal bulb / dtr lamp burned out a few times already I just throw a new bulb in. Both my lenses driver and passenger have a crack in just about the same spot and I sealed it up with some kind of clear sealent you barely notice it and that should help. Those connectors seem hard to change. I can barely reach up there and change the bulb. I also have a trans cooler right next to it so if I wanted to change the connector I would have to move the trans cooler. Oh well I dont drive it to much on the street these days maybe 50 miles a week.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

So by switching it off, you have no turn signal.
It just disables the DRL module. Sure it doesnt fix the problem, but it reduces the likelyhood of it occuring since there is no "real" fix.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Launching!

what about wrapping electrical tape around the base of the bulb where it hooks in and the around the socket..just an idea
Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought new housings from the dealer and now I can go through a monsoon and not lose my bulbs
Old 01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same f^$$ing problem 3 sets of bulbs in the last week This time I put a ton of bulb grease all over hope it works. Funny thing is when I bulbs go out I start looking at other birds and most that I see that day also have their bulbs out.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Never had this problem after I changed the cracked housing with some Dielectric grease
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Default DRL/Turn signals

I just went through this same issue on my '99 TA. My right turn signal stopped working, so I replaced the bulb. Still did not work, checked socket and found the metal contacts had rusted to the point that they were falling apart. Called the dealer, as no one else carried the socket, and they wanted almost $60.00 for the socket and a short 3-wire pigtail. I called a friend with a bodyshop and he got the part at his doiscount, which was still $35.00. Installing is a pain, there is very little slack in the wire harness, so its difficult to cut and splice the wires. Its actually easier to pull the wire through the vent opening that to try and get it from the access panel underneath the fender. After installing and greasing the bulb, everything works again. Of course, 2 months later the same thing happened to the left side.

John
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Default Drl

guys i have found a cure for our cold! There is a gentleman in oregon that has a bunch of these assemblies and I ordered mine with the housing and socket I paid $25. Granted it is a salvage yard but thats why i ordered a new housing too. I paid 50 for housing and pigtail. most people paid 45 just for the pig tail. Also I fixed my old housings with 60 sec epoxy. I just layered it over the whole lense and it sealed it right up. Beautiful thing is that it wont crack again because epoxy is flexible. Just wanted to give an update and let you guys know about this success.

Last edited by linegtdt52; 02-03-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

I had an issue then noticed that my lens both had hair line cracks in them and was getting in way too much moisture (Lots of rain in the south lol)

I happen to be good friends with the guys at a local dealer and when I went to ask how much to replace them he walked out looked at them and said... Oh I can replace those for you.

He replaced both lens and housings. I have not had one issue since.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NOS4EVER
Never had this problem after I changed the cracked housing with some Dielectric grease
Alaa, do you really have a moisture problem in Bahrain?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Alaa, do you really have a moisture problem in Bahrain?
Bahrain is a small island with a high humidity throughout the year.

Some times it’s impossible to have traction at the drag strip especially during the night