Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a4-t56 swap..few pre questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4-t56 swap..few pre questions

i am getting ready to buy all my parts and get my 99 ls1 trans am swapped to a t56. Before starting i decided to get on here and read all about it that i could/ And im glad i did because i found out that i have to change my cross member. Is that correct? How much do they usually cost? or if i buy one of these "conversion kits" you see everywhere do they know to include them? Also how do you put it in? do you have to cut and weld?or can i do it in my garage and bolt it in? Im guessing not but ive been wrong before lol. Any help i appreciate!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 530transam
i am getting ready to buy all my parts and get my 99 ls1 trans am swapped to a t56. Before starting i decided to get on here and read all about it that i could/ And im glad i did because i found out that i have to change my cross member. Is that correct? How much do they usually cost? or if i buy one of these "conversion kits" you see everywhere do they know to include them? Also how do you put it in? do you have to cut and weld?or can i do it in my garage and bolt it in? Im guessing not but ive been wrong before lol. Any help i appreciate!
Need:
*new pedals/linkage
*new master cylinder/slave cylinder(recommended)
*tranny/clutch
*cut a square in the tunnel so that the stick for the manual tranny comes up into the car
*you put the tranny in through the bottom of the car obviously, you will need to disconnect the driveshaft(the driveshaft is the same for autos and manuals)
*No welding that i remember doing at all everything should be take automatic stuff off, bolt on manual stuff pretty much straight forward physically...
* oh yeah and you will have to get your car tuned for the speedo and other stuff since alot of sensors and crap on the harness will not be plugged in. Other than that you can do it the correct way and re-do your whole car with a M6 manual harness lol but thats a pain in the ***, rather just use the one you have and live with it.. well good luck...
*uhh and i forgot the rest...and yes you can do it in your garage if your determined enough its not too bad at all just have a friend or two help lol...im sure more pple will chime in with more info...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you dont need an entire cross member as long as theres access for the shift linkage? thats the whole issue is the shifter cant pass through an automatics cross member because the hole simply isn't cut? ok another question your comment reminded me of
the wiring harness? sow hats the real issue there?i apreciate your info but can soemone go in depth to it? what exactly the differences are between an autos harness and a manuals harness and exactly what to modify and where?

Quick Reply: a4-t56 swap..few pre questions