Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky No. 7!!! (spun bearings)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lucky No. 7!!! (spun bearings)

What in the hell is the deal with the #7 Cylinder on these engines?? I had a bad knocking noise that came out of nowhere that was also making a loud "metal on metal" screeching sound that I had never heard anything like it before. Oil pressure was still 50-60lbs at idle so I wasn't sure that it was a bad bearing. I cut the oil filter in half for a look and found a good bit of metal in it so I decided to pull my oil pan tonight and of course found some spun bearings... The bearings had jumped each other and had over lapped one other.. The crank seems to be "ok" and hopefully will be fine with just a good polish. I really don't like the idea of turning a basically brand new $1600 dollar Callies crank.. I think the rod will be ok also or at least I hope so.. Don't really like the idea of having to buy another Lunati Billet rod either.. This motor has about 10-12 passes on it and maybe 50 street miles. Hasn't been turned over 6800rpms yet and has only seen a 100 shot of nitrous. I noticed that there was some fuel in the oil the last time I changed the oil and I'm guessing that the gas could have washed the bearings clean causing the spun bearing. But, who knows.

Anyways, 3-4 months after installing all of this **** I get to pull it out AGAIN and go back through the whole thing once again. Isn't that awesome?????? I guess it could have been alot worse, but damn its disheartening.. Anyone wanna donate some new main & rod bearings?? Clevite preferably?? Just thought I would share the good news an vent a little.. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta pay to play.... Break 'em in like you're going to run 'em.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, im doin some testing on my engine knockin also, . . cut the oil filter you say? hmm, i hope i don't find metal
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ouch, I hate to hear this. Sorta the reason why im thinking of building something I can afford to blow up instead of a big inch motor.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah its just part of it.. Just kinda pisses me off cause I haven't even leaned on it yet. I was one weekend away from getting a solid dyno tune and turning up the heat, but now I'm gonna be kinda gun shy when I get it back going again..
Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Yeah its just part of it.. Just kinda pisses me off cause I haven't even leaned on it yet. I was one weekend away from getting a solid dyno tune and turning up the heat, but now I'm gonna be kinda gun shy when I get it back going again..
If the motor is that new, then you need to talk to the person that built it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I would definitely be skeptical the next go round as well.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

that is bad news bro,sorry to hear that.i finally got mine running after setting all of last year with a spun bearing and have a 408 in mine now and i am hoping like hell this one lasts quite awhile.i think i may have starved mine for oil since i was 1 1/2 quarts low but who knows,i only know what the outcome was.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Restricted User

Mine did that same thing as yours, squeeking sound and had a tick. I tore it down and had a saddled bearing. But my top ring was gaulded to the piston as well from going extremely lean. We think from it going lean got the piston red hot and the heat transfered down the rod to the bearing. It was #7 as well... Mine had 196 miles on it and 3 passes down the track.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I got a question, I have an 02 SS with I believe an LS-1 in it, I dont know if the guy before me did anything to it, I know nothing about computerized motors, heads look big, and it has a mild Idle to it, ran 11.9 at the track on D.O.T. slicks, question is, what would cause my #7 cylinder to lose compression and if so, is it possible that it isnt the piston rings?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the motor broken in or did you take it straight to the track? Its a sad thing to hear...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Like those above, you are not alone and many feel your pain. Had a Buddy that did everything right with 383 stroker, forged crank, pistons, etc. Lowered the compression for a turbo. Lots of money invested.... made one trip down the track. Week later spun a bearing driving normal on the street. Hang in there. Hope you have a more understanding wife/girlfriend than he did.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Was the motor broken in or did you take it straight to the track? Its a sad thing to hear...
I let it go through a few heat cycles and put about 50 miles on it before I went to the track. Like I said, I had not even begun to push the motor yet. I've been short shifting it and had the timing on 26* when it should be on about 28-29*. Only had it pilled for a 100 shot. It started making the noise after a motor pass so I loaded it on the trailer and took it home. Couldn't get it to make the noise the next day to save my life. Then about a month later I get it out and let it run for a few minutes and reved it up a couple times and it started squealing really loud and knocking pretty hard so I shut it off. Then pulled the pan and found the bad bearing.. It could have been a whole lot worse I guess, but hopefully I will get out of it ok. The motor is coming out tomorrow and I'll tear it down and have everything checked out next week. Wish me luck guys!

Btw, I don't think this has anything to do with the normal problems that people are having with the #7 cylinder going lean because I'm not running the stock style intakes. I'm running the GMPP carb style intake so every cylinder should be about the same.