Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flycutting Pistons How to?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flycutting Pistons How to?

Hear it alot but never understand how to do it. I know it's little cut's for valve clearance but how is it done? Whats the process?
I read the other thread (piston Cutting) and it just said what it was.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to flycut

Here's how my engine builder and I flycut my pistons.

The cutting tool goes in an old head in the valve guide of the side you wish to cut. Move the piston to TDC. If you want, you can move it to TDC and then cover with duct tape so you don't get shavings between the piston and cylinder wall, but we had no problem removing the shavings since the motor was on a stand.

Put the cutting tool in the head, motor to TDC. Put an old gasket, then head on motor. Put the tool in contact with the piston, then using feeler gauges move the collar up the tool's shaft to a height that is equal to your desired depth of cut. I think we set mine to .075". Put drill on top of tool (spin in normal direction. Trust me. If you go backward, the head of the tool will unthread from the tool guide shaft. Lesson learned.). Clean piston. Move to next cylinder.

Now, before somebody speaks up, we blueprinted the motor and it's just like LG and TEA both told me: the closest spot was at TDC. I was misled by that web page on a cam manufacturer's site that claims it's closest when the intake upstroke starts. That's bs. It simply wasn't the closest point.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Where can you get one of these tools?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

They're not a sponsor, but maybe a sponsor sells the tool. It's called the Isky Piston Notching Tool and it's made by Isky Racing Cams.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 341 Posts

I thought you could rent one from a sponsor on here... Thunder Racing perhaps?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

For $200 You Can Rent One From Lg Or Tea Or Maybe Tr. Or Buy She Tool For $200. Which Makes More Sense To You?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

I rented mine from LG. it was $160 and you get it for 2 weeks after the package is delivered. so 2 weeks in your hand regardless of how far from them you may be. anyways, just specify that you want both inake and exh. valves cause when mine showed up, they didnt have the exh. cutter in there. said they never had to do that. so I measured one more time and sure enough I did need the exh. cutter too. they sent that out and were cool about everytyhing telling me I could have it as long as i needed it because fo all that.

as far as buying it, I thought about that. the tools around $120 ea. I guess, so $240 for both cutters, then you gotta find a junk stock head to use and remove the valve seats which is no big deal. I took a bunch of pics while I was doin the intake side, I'll post some on here when I get home. its really not hard, just pretty time consuming.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Someone told me that since I'm looking into the TFS heads,I'll have too use a bare TFS head to do the flycutting. I'm not going to buy a set of heads and then 1 bare one, that's crazy!. There has to be another way.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

if the TFS heads have the valves at a diff. angle then stock, then yes.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

here's a shot of how it should look after tapeing. I cut out a window where the valves are so that when I sit the cutter on the piston and set up the cut depth, I would have an accurate cut and not have to factor in the thickness of the tape. also, my heads are decked .030, and Im useing a .014" thinner gasket. since the head Im using here for the tool is not cut, I only had to make the tape .014" thick to simulate the same valve angle position of my actual had. no head gasket needed.

here's the tool. this is before i removed the seat in teh exh. side, since it came this way. Ive since removed the exh. seat, and have yet to clearance the exh. side also.

here's a shot of one int. notch cut to .090". I ended up around .125" depth to clear my setup.
Im goin to do a write up with all the nec. pic.s showing everything to do for the cutting. you will have to measure for clearance before and after. and dont forget to take some sand paper to the sharp edges left by the tool.

Search this Thread