Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry sump system (i need a pro to clear things up)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry sump system (i need a pro to clear things up)

Ok I’ve been looking at diagram and I think Im starting to understand how a dry sump system work (I’m talking an ls1 or any gen III, IV engine here). Correct me if im worng:

Instead of an oil pan you have a scavaging pan(pritty much an oil pan with very little depth to it). There is only a little bit of oil in this pan because there is an external pump (pulley driven) that sucks it dry (well almost dry). That pump dumps the oil in a holding tank. The pump also has a second section (or "stage")that sucks oil from the tank and pumps it to the internal oil pump.

Then it works like a normal oiling system to oil the engine. Then when the oil trickles down the engine it return to the savaging pan and it pumped back into the holding tank and the cycle starts over.

Am I right?

My other question is, how does (in the gen III, IV engine) the oil get pumped from the tank to the internal oil pump? You’d have to run a line to where the original sump (oil pick up) went right?

Last edited by jonus079; 01-25-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

also im guessing the external pump is high volume, low pressure. if the scavaging pan is empty (or there is little oil in it) how does it suck the oil out? wouldnt there be air in the lines?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Teching In

OK, you've got most of it. If it is a stage 1 style kit, then the stock oil pump is used and an AN style fitting is attached to it. It is then fed to an AN bulkhead fitting on the pan and out to the tank.

For a conventional dry sump system the external pump is both an oil pump and several stage scavanger. (aka 3, 4, or 5 stage). You normally scavange the pan in a few places, aka front, middle and back. High end systems might even scavange from the valley.

The LS7 dry sump system is similiar to a stage1 system.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this link.. http://www.drysump.com/index1.htm Someday when my money tree grows..
Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

alright i understand now. but some little questions

1. if the pan is mostly dry how does the scavanging pump suck the oil out? seems like there were be alot of air in the lines and couldnt that damage the pump?

2. im guessing the scavanging system is low pressure / high volume from the size of the lines. about what psi is it pumping at?

3. (in a stage 1 set up) if you mounted the tank high enough you wouldnt to pump right?

it seems to me that the system isnt that expensive (well for poeple with tig welders) i really the only expensive part is the pump. i dont think it would be that hard to make you ouw pan and there are tons of oil filter relocation kit avaiable for $100. anyone have experience fabing up thier own system? i would love to see pictures.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

btw i saw the diagram for the z06 dry sump set up and i dont really see advantage of the set up. the oil sump is still set up like a traditional wet sump. the only advantage i see is that the oil can is high up. ...maybe im missing something.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the advantage is in that the oil won't be sloshing around in a pan creating a possibility of the internal pump not being able to pick up any oil.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS7 system will be strong in providing steady oil flow in high G corners and braking. I think this is what GM wanted. The small oil pan is to help fit smaller chassis. If we have a choice the pan on a dry sump still has high internal volume to reduce pumping effect on pistons and rings.

Kurt

Quick Reply: dry sump system (i need a pro to clear things up)