Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which H/C package for stock geared + spray car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which H/C package for stock geared + spray car?

If I don't go blower with my car, I will be going with a head/cam package and probably a 100-150 shot of nitrous. What kind of package would you recommend that would be easy to maintain? I would be looking for a cam that isn't crazy hard to drive, but still has enough lope to make people know it has a cam. The cam would also have to have good torque throughout the power range because I want to run stock gears. The car would see spray in probably only 30 % of the races, so I want to have good power and street manners NA. I was thinking I should go with some kind of high compression heads, but I am on a slight budget (AKA I don't want to spend $2k on heads because I will have the spray for serious races) Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say PRC or TEA 5.3L heads with a bread n butter 224ish cam. This will probably be your typical answer. There's lots of info already posted on the site, just spend time using the search.

Is this for an A4 or M6 car?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Launching!

This would be an M6 car, I use the search and constantly look at things, but new things are constantly happening with new products coming out etc. From what I hear I think I would want something a little bigger than a 224 but smaller than say and MS3 or MS4 I think? Also, I do not want to have to fly cut the pistons. Thanks for the info though.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

For starters....we need a lot more info on your car. What year, tranny, torque converter, any other current mods?

I would not go with the highest of the high compression cuz of the juice. You are saying that you want to run stock gears....which tells me that you are probably going to have a stock rear. Well I hope that your car is not a M6...cuz good luck with that rear end with h/c....and juice on top of that. If you stick with stock gears....you really will not be able to maximize a heads and cam setup with a decent size cam. You will spend a lot of time outside of the powerband.

Personally....I would think a little bit more about what you want, expect, can afford, and what you are realistically going to get from your current and future setup.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I will have a stock rear, but I will have funds for a 9" WHEN it pops. I do not have the car yet b/c I am in the process of selling mine. The car will be a 99-02 Z28 or SS, M6. I wanted to run stock gears b/c of hear of spray cars with 4.10's running out of gear in the 1/4. I understand most h/c cars need gears, yet you dont want too high of a gear numerically, so I would be looking for something inbetween. Maybe i'm better off staying just bolt-ons + spray until the rear goes, then do the rear and the H/C at the same time.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
I will have a stock rear, but I will have funds for a 9" WHEN it pops. I do not have the car yet b/c I am in the process of selling mine. The car will be a 99-02 Z28 or SS, M6. I wanted to run stock gears b/c of hear of spray cars with 4.10's running out of gear in the 1/4. I understand most h/c cars need gears, yet you dont want too high of a gear numerically, so I would be looking for something inbetween. Maybe i'm better off staying just bolt-ons + spray until the rear goes, then do the rear and the H/C at the same time.
If you have the money at the time..just do the 9 in. Also....feel free to do h/c and spray....and I still would recommend 4.11's. It would be a beast on the street and if you are serious about running it at the track, then just run a 28" tire....Problem solved.