General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel issues ? Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel issues ? Suspension?

Ok, so for the past month I have been getting lots of clunking and up until just recently, It got really bad. To make a long story short, my springs took a dump. I currently have all the suspension mods (Eibach pro kit) springs, lca's, relocation brackets and adjustable pan hard rod. Well, the rear springs were shot, so I ordered a new set and had them put on. This needed to be done regaurdless, but it didnt fix all the issues I was having. It made a hell of a difference though. Anyways, the problem I am having and was having before, is that whenever I hit bumps, I still get the occasional clunk. I *think* its because of the popping noise I am getting when I move the car side to side. There is no noise when I bounce the car up and down, but there is popping when I move it side to side. See illustration

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it possible that my APHR needs to be adjusted again? I havent messed with it and dont really want to unless that is the problem. Thoughts? TIA
Attached Thumbnails Wheel issues ?  Suspension?-wheel-problem.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

have you checked the shocks?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

The shocks are fairly new, they are Billstiens. They have only been on the car for maybe a year.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

I forgot to mention, it almost sounds/feels as though my wheel is loose (Like the lugnuts are not tight) but of course I have already checked that, more than once. Also, it only happens when I push on the passengers side. It does not happen from the drivers side.

Last edited by LS1Formula98; 01-27-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i am having that same problem. it sounds like someone has a hammer and is hitting up underneath the fender when hitting bumps.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
yeah i am having that same problem. it sounds like someone has a hammer and is hitting up underneath the fender when hitting bumps.
Seeing as how you have 17x11's in back, you're probably rubbing. I usually rub a bit when I get some articulation on the rear. I'm lowered though.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Ya know, someone on my local forums mentioned that he had a similar noise. It sounds like it could be slack from the axles.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that car is dirty.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by minivette
Damn, that car is dirty.

Chump!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Update......

Well, to make a long story short. I jacked the car up and checked the bolts that the PHR are bolted at. The were both pretty damn tight. I basically said "F" it for now I will try and figure it out later. ( I have been fighting this noise for a couple of weeks). Fast forward to the other day when all of the sudden I hear the tirs rubbing when I make turns or sway on curves. I get home and jack the rear up and notice that the bar is completely off of the threads, but was tight enough not to drag on the street below. I was like WTF? So anyways, I completely take the bar off at both ends and try to re-screw them together. Not happening, the damn thing was completely stripped at the threads. So what was going on when I was driving, was that the bar was shifting back and forth enough to make noise, but not enough to completely come undone, until the other day. So I ordered a new Spohn ADJ PHR and prayed that was the problem. I slapped that bad boy on and VIOLA! noise is completely gone. What sucks is that there was no way of me telling that the bar was stripped, because when i jacked the car up and tried to move the body from side to side there was no noise. When it was flat on the ground (And to low for me to get underneath it) it would make the sound. Anyways, thanks for all of your responses.