Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'alternate', alt/pwr steering bracket 69 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'alternate', alt/pwr steering bracket 69 camaro

I have been searching for info on moving the alt up high on the drivers side on my 98 f-body ls1 (in a 69camaro). I came across 70LS1(jeff) template for a bracket, and made one, only to find out that you won't be able to mount the pwr steering pump. Or so it seems. I guess he didn't run pwr steering?? anyway, I was just going to use the vette accessory package, but then I came across this post in the sticky section "Helpful C5 Accessory Drive Conversion GM Part Numbers for OEM Parts" by umedevelopment

---HELP!!!
Man just ran into a wall. 02 Corvette LS1 in 1969 Camaro and the parts above all work great except the p/s pulley will not go on as it is blocked by the edge on the A-arm. Anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions on another part for a smaller pulley?
---

And I haven't found a response to this guy yet. His post was back in 6/06.

So, will the vette parts work in the camaro?
BTW, I'm using a S&P type mount and I have about an inch of space between the firewall and the motor.

Thanks in advance
ChrisP
Old 01-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Have you looked at the sticky re: LSx into 67-69 Camaro? Also why do you want to mount the alternator up high; the writer of the sticky mounted his down low. Also someone in the sticky asked if truck accessory brackets would work and someone stated that they had to trim a little of the bracing in the hood to make it work. Just my .02
Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I remember the sticky saying that it will but then again, every 69 camaro swap is not the same, different mounts, different steering, and then to read the above post really got me thinking(maybe thinking too much).

And I need to go with a high mount because of a couple of reasons, my engine is moved so far back that the alternator hits the crossmember, and I will be using the BRP rack (front) steering setup and it should be in the way also.

I do feel that it looks cleaner down below instead of up above, and as another option, I am also looking to mount it on the passenger lower side(where the a/c was) and it will be clear of the steering shaft also.

looking for input on someone w/1st gen f-body using the corvette accessorys.

Chris P
Old 01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I have about 3/4 inch of space between the top of the crossmember and the bottom of the oil pan.

Is this about normal? Should the motor be higher?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My oil pan to crossmember is about that tight and I have not had problems with it yet.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

yes, but g-body does your elcamino crossmember have the same contour on the sides as the 1st gen camaro.?

Actually, there has to be something wrong here and i just can't see it yet.
I know lots of other people are not having an issue w/low mounted alt.
later today I'll lift the motor, mount the alternator, lower it back in, and see just what the hell is going on here.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest looking at the S&P catalog for parts if your using the S&P (style) mounts.. from what I have found is that by using the S&P style mounts and from what they state.. Accessories will have to be moved and that is why they market there own Brand of Accessories and Mounts.
I know that if you use a S&P plate on the Right side. You cannot use a OEM F-Body AC Compressor and mount, they contact each other.

Why don't you check out BRP web site for the YearOne Camaro.. They appear to be using all F-Body accessories along with there Rack conversion as you are using.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I misunderstood what you were asking about crossmember clearance . I thought you were asking if 3/4" was enough. Now that I re-read your post again, I realized that you were wondering if your mounts were fitting correctly.

Quick Reply: 'alternate', alt/pwr steering bracket 69 camaro