General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My soaked floorboard findings(pics)

Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My soaked floorboard findings(pics)

WELL...I've been dealing with a wet driver's side floorboard for a couple months or so now. I knew it wasn't the t-tops, because the water was never on TOP of the floor mat, but beneath. Sooo, I had tried to check it out without removing anything...but I couldn't get a good look. I'd planned to have friends look at it...but things always seem to happen. In other words, I was hoping the problem would magically disappear, lol. After having to scrape the ice off of the INSIDE of my windshield the other day, I finally decided to tackle the problem today. Here's my little picture show of how the day went...

THIS is what I started off with:

Well, after removing the rear seat on the driver's side, this is what I found:

I then proceeded to do this:

Here's what I found under the carpeting in that rear seat:

Here's what I found out my carpeting looks like now:

Sooo, after all that - I had my mom hose my car down while I sat inside it. Turns out, I've got major leakage around the top of my driver's side window. I guess i'll need to replace the weather stripping. I'm going to TRY to let the carpeting air-out and then steam-clean it. If that doesn't work, I guess i'll have to just order some new stuff.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats too bad, I would throw it away. you can find used carpet on this board for 100 or so dollars. I wouldn't reuse yours, might have mold growth on it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm thinking about going with black carpeting anyway. As it shows in the pics...I couldn't get my passenger seat belt unbolted from the floor. Some idiot had already stripped the bolt out. Sooo, I had to cut the carpeting around it. I'm just fed up with that tan carpeting anyway. I looked it up online and can find new stuff at a cheaper price than i'd expected. Black would just be a hell of a lot easier to keep clean, and I think it'd look nice since i've got a black dash and console anyway.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. that carpet looks like it smells like something awful. +1 on getting rid of the carpet. it looks like mold city, and even if you were to steam clean it, you'd never get rid of the smell, and trust me, you don't want to be sneezing every time you drive your car. now's a good time to order some new carpet from the dealership, color of your choice. perhaps it's time for a black rug with those nice SLP floormats or if spending hundreds of dollars on carpet isn't up your alley, there's always the junkyard or taking someone's carpet from a gutted car on these boards

tough break and good luck. FWIW, if you replace the weather stripping, make sure that fixes the problem before you put any new carpet on. if that means driving around for 2 weeks with no carpet, so be it. you DO NOT want to get new carpet, put it on and come outside one day to another ruined interior because things are still leaking.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Supprisingly, there isn't much of ANY smell to that carpet. It's kinda shocking. Don't worry, I'll definately be making sure the leak is gone before I put new stuff back in! I'd really be kicking myself in the *** if that happened. I guess I'll be driving around with no carpeting for a while. If my W-2's ever get here, I might be able to have some cash to replace it! Same goes for the weather stripping. It figures that all this happens right at a time when money is tight.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

it could be the window not aligned properly either, mine flops around in the door. GM in their great wisdom, decided to make these without a frame around the top, and nothing to keep the glass in place.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROB2000
it could be the window not aligned properly either, mine flops around in the door. GM in their great wisdom, decided to make these without a frame around the top, and nothing to keep the glass in place.
ROB2000 is right - the seals might not be at fault, but the windows may not be sealing tightly against them. This can occasionally be a problem with the window motor itself (you have power windows, and they are not holding correctly) or there are some adjusters that push the window either more towards the center of the car or farther out away from it. If those are not set right, water comes in. You would probably notice some whistling at speed as well. Provided your doors are shutting right on the striker, (which is another thing that could lead to this problem) I would investigate that before buying a bunch of seals.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to see the troubles you are having. Hope you can get it figured out. I have sent you a PM with a link to a quality carpet manufacturer. They are not a sponsor.

R/

Frat
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lo_jack
ROB2000 is right - the seals might not be at fault, but the windows may not be sealing tightly against them. This can occasionally be a problem with the window motor itself (you have power windows, and they are not holding correctly) or there are some adjusters that push the window either more towards the center of the car or farther out away from it. If those are not set right, water comes in. You would probably notice some whistling at speed as well. Provided your doors are shutting right on the striker, (which is another thing that could lead to this problem) I would investigate that before buying a bunch of seals.

Well, I don't have ANY problems with the motor in that window...the passenger's side is the slower of the two. The widow itself seems to be fine....it aligns right and there isn't any whistling at all. As far as I can tell, it's got to be the seals. I need to replace the seals around the hatch anyway...I'm thinking I might just do everything all at once and get it over with.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it looks like the window is pressing tightly against the seal when you shut it, then you are probably right. But sometimes the adjusters that are used to set the pressure (how close the window is to the seal) in the door get loose. If you are happy with how the window is mating up to the sealing surface then you are probably on the right track.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Do NOT cheap out on the new carpet. Go to the dealer, and be prepared to spend some money. I promise you will regret it if you get anything else. I replaced the carpet on my mother's Camry not too long ago. She didn't want to spend the $$$ so she went with something off ebay for $129 and it's crap.......
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pewterpower
Do NOT cheap out on the new carpet. Go to the dealer, and be prepared to spend some money. I promise you will regret it if you get anything else. I replaced the carpet on my mother's Camry not too long ago. She didn't want to spend the $$$ so she went with something off ebay for $129 and it's crap.......
I'll second that. You get what you pay for.

R/

Frat
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pewterpower

LMFAO, the LAST place I will EVER take my car is back to that DAMN dealership!!! I won't buy the cheapest carpet out there, don't worry. But those F*ckers at the dealership won't evvvver get my business again. In fact, if I ever seen the service manager again, I'd probably run him over.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Dude I had the same exact **** happen! Same spots of water and everything, my car is white too! Haha it sucks but gave me good reason to dynamat the whole car!

Search this Thread