Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 to LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 to LS1 swap

I want to change my LS1 in my 1999 camaro Hugger orange Z28, I use it everyday and it has over 150,000 miles, I know it is allot travel, 100 miles a day for 7 years now. I know the LS2 comes with an corvette oil pan and the throttle body is fly by wire ( electrical control). The LS2 is an crate motor 2006, I also see the ECU will have to be changed, I guess I will also have to have a different flywheel. I see also there is a LS6 long block that GM sells that comes with a camaro oil pan, but has no intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and no electric hook ups, would this be better for my camaro. i also plan on installing the GM LS1 hot cam in this crate motor. My question is what is the best way to go, I also have to pass the stupid smog test here in Calif. It is real tough getting 500RWHP in california for under $8000.00. I don't want to turbo charge or supercharge, I want just plain motor,cannot afford a new LS7 either.
Help!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by latman101
I want to change my LS1 in my 1999 camaro Hugger orange Z28, I use it everyday and it has over 150,000 miles, I know it is allot travel, 100 miles a day for 7 years now. I know the LS2 comes with an corvette oil pan and the throttle body is fly by wire ( electrical control). The LS2 is an crate motor 2006, I also see the ECU will have to be changed, I guess I will also have to have a different flywheel. I see also there is a LS6 long block that GM sells that comes with a camaro oil pan, but has no intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and no electric hook ups, would this be better for my camaro. i also plan on installing the GM LS1 hot cam in this crate motor. My question is what is the best way to go, I also have to pass the stupid smog test here in Calif. It is real tough getting 500RWHP in california for under $8000.00. I don't want to turbo charge or supercharge, I want just plain motor,cannot afford a new LS7 either.
Help!!!
man i am in the same boat except i dont have to pass smog.

this is what i have decided. i will be getting the LS2 long block with L92 heads, and big cam. i know you will not see 500 rwhp with an LS2 and a hot cam maybe 400 rwhp if you are lucky.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

California makes it tough. I went to turnkey engines and nothing they make will pass smog. have to play allot of games here to the results you want. I want to get this done before I order my new camaro. I was tokd that orders will start this fall, I am jacked up about that! Good luck Chris, be thankful you don't live in Cali.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

I thought that in order to do an engine swap in Cali the new engine had to be of a newer model and retain all emissions equipment of said newer motor. Also that you had to have documentation stating that said motor was out of a newer vehicle and had Cali smog equipment. Or has that all changed since the Governator passed that law requiring all vehicles to pass smog (meaning didn't ya'll have a roving emissions law only requiring 25 years old and newer?).
<------Thankful he lives in Texas
Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Jimmy,
Your kind of right. The new engine will be a 2006 LS2 crate engine from GM, it is newer and has all the Smog equipment. I just want to make sure when I do this I know what my extra cost will be. Things I think I know:
1- I have to have a camaro oil pan, pickup, etc.
2- I have to hook up the throttle body, either change to electronic or back to cable.
3- I will have to change the PCM
4- I am also going to chang the cam to a gm ls1 hot cam, which is legal in Cali
5- I am going to install new coils.
6- I am thinking about a F.a.s.t manifold and throttle body or a BBK, I have heard the BBK metal intake manifold does not disapate the heat like a composite. I can get the crate motor for $5400.00 and the dealership here will swap the motor for $2000.00. I just want to cover all my bases, I am trying to build a street legal car in Cali for 500 RWHP, I cannot afford an LS7. I also don't want to have any adders like turbo, just engine. I figure with the right heads, cam, exhaust, program, I can come close.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

FL for the win im sooo happy theres no emmsions in fl anymore...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by latman101
California makes it tough. I went to turnkey engines and nothing they make will pass smog. have to play allot of games here to the results you want. I want to get this done before I order my new camaro. I was tokd that orders will start this fall, I am jacked up about that! Good luck Chris, be thankful you don't live in Cali.

haha..i do live in Cali but im in the military and keep my car registered in Texas. its so funny allmy nieghbors hate how loud my car is. i always get complaints and have even been pulled over by the cops but as long as i got Tx registration they said im alright. i run SLP longtubes, nocats and a cut-out.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Just wait one of these days the Fed will make everyone meet the same rules we do, then we will see. I hate it, but I am not going to leave the weather and job for smog.
It makes things harder, I mean I can run any engine I want, but I have to get the smog cert. a different way if you know what I mean.That is why everyone out here buy late models befor 1980 and build the crap out of them. Some of the 69 camaro's out here are just crazy, but another issue out here is the gas is only 91 octane, so if your compression is too high, you knock like crazy. I have found a engine builder in LA, he gets 582 RWHP street legal LS1 and pases smog, I just have to deal with the cost. he balancea and blueprints his motor, has a full machine shop and has 2 dynos. i am going to find out Monday what the deal will be.

Quick Reply: LS2 to LS1 swap