Sponsored by:

DTC reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC reset

Hi,
I replaced an LS1 with an LS2 motor in a 99 camaro.
when doing this I needed to move the cam sensor from the front to the back.
now I get a DTC cam sensor error. I think it is probably the wiring is reversed or something. My question is how do I reset the DTC codes in the PCM?
I am running EFILive.
thankx

Al
Old 01-28-2007, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

You should confirm whether or not you have an actual physical problem. There were some cam extension harnesses where the wires were reversed. You can check with Katech on the proper wiring (I can't remember at the moment). With EFILive, the scan can display and reset DTC's. Use 'Info' on the menu. There are several options for viewing and resetting DTC's.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
You should confirm whether or not you have an actual physical problem. There were some cam extension harnesses where the wires were reversed. You can check with Katech on the proper wiring (I can't remember at the moment). With EFILive, the scan can display and reset DTC's. Use 'Info' on the menu. There are several options for viewing and resetting DTC's.
Thanks for the reply.
I extended the wires my self so more than likely the wires are reversed.
The problem is, there are three wires so 9 combo's.
I have the wiring dig for the LS1 sensor, but not sure what the wiring is for the LS2 sensor.
As for the DTC reset, I can only find a way to read them not reset. Maybe I'm missing something? If I get the wires right will it reset on it's own?

Al

Last edited by STKN1STGEAR; 01-28-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone post up a pic of their cam sensor plug (maybe w/the wires exposed so we can see the colors?) or does anyone know what order the wires should go?

I'm assuming there's a ground (so you can test for that), a +5volt signal (so you can test for that), and last wire should be signal (probably same color as the signal wire from the PCM)

so if someone could post the order (+/s/- or whatever order it is) should help ( I checked my pics from my head/cam install w/the intake manifold off but didn't find any good zoomed pics of the back of the engine)

I'll try looking it up in my helms manual later tonight, see if it provides more detail

regarding the reset... it will turn off on it's own after it detects a good signal (may have to see it twice or over a period of time)

You can clear the DTC manually by putting key in run position, remove PCM IGN and PCM BAT fuses (at this point I usually power cycle the keya few times, off run off run) after about 10 seconds put fuses back in and PCM should be cleared of codes

You may need to do a CASE learn also after everything's all set
Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by horist
Can anyone post up a pic of their cam sensor plug (maybe w/the wires exposed so we can see the colors?) or does anyone know what order the wires should go?

I'm assuming there's a ground (so you can test for that), a +5volt signal (so you can test for that), and last wire should be signal (probably same color as the signal wire from the PCM)

so if someone could post the order (+/s/- or whatever order it is) should help ( I checked my pics from my head/cam install w/the intake manifold off but didn't find any good zoomed pics of the back of the engine)

I'll try looking it up in my helms manual later tonight, see if it provides more detail

regarding the reset... it will turn off on it's own after it detects a good signal (may have to see it twice or over a period of time)

You can clear the DTC manually by putting key in run position, remove PCM IGN and PCM BAT fuses (at this point I usually power cycle the keya few times, off run off run) after about 10 seconds put fuses back in and PCM should be cleared of codes

You may need to do a CASE learn also after everything's all set
Here is a drawing of the LS2 plug

----|___ red
Tab |___ pnk/blk
side |___ brn/wht
----
I tested all the connection the only one I know for sure is the 12 volt + wire coming from the car.

I'll see if I can get the wiring diag for the LS1 uploaded

Al

Last edited by STKN1STGEAR; 01-28-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

here is the wiring diagram
Al
Attached Thumbnails DTC reset-cimg1636.jpg  
Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

can you post a bigger image? I couldn't make anything out in that pic .... I won't be able to look at my helms manuals till tomorrow... but I promise I will check them out to see if they have anything that can help

Given your diagram earlier:
----|___ red
Tab |___ pnk/blk
side |___ brn/wht

if I were to guess on proper order... I would say that red is likely the +5v (automotive wiring isn't the same as home wiring "standards")

so that leaves the pink/black or brown/white as the wires to consider

My "guess" would be that red is +5 volt, pink/black is ground, and brown/white is signal ... given that... you should be able to use a volt meter to determine which wire from the original harness is +5 (should be constant)

at least this changes it from 6 permutations to just 2 ...

If i were to guess on them all... i would go red = +5, pnk/blk = ground , brn/wht = signal

(with three variables there are only 6 combos... (3*2*1) RBW RWB WRB WBR BRW BWR where R = Red, W=brn/wht, B =pnk/blk)

Last edited by horist; 01-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by horist
can you post a bigger image? I couldn't make anything out in that pic .... I won't be able to look at my helms manuals till tomorrow... but I promise I will check them out to see if they have anything that can help

Given your diagram earlier:
----|___ red
Tab |___ pnk/blk
side |___ brn/wht

if I were to guess on proper order... I would say that red is likely the +5v (automotive wiring isn't the same as home wiring "standards")

so that leaves the pink/black or brown/white as the wires to consider

My "guess" would be that red is +5 volt, pink/black is ground, and brown/white is signal ... given that... you should be able to use a volt meter to determine which wire from the original harness is +5 (should be constant)

at least this changes it from 6 permutations to just 2 ...

If i were to guess on them all... i would go red = +5, pnk/blk = ground , brn/wht = signal

(with three variables there are only 6 combos... (3*2*1) RBW RWB WRB WBR BRW BWR where R = Red, W=brn/wht, B =pnk/blk)

it isn't +5 it is +12 coming from the car to the sensor. I agree ( at least at this point) that the red is the input to the sensor of + 12, bur I don't find a ground. will look more tommorrow. As for the image, I tried to uplaod a bigger one but it was to big so this is what we havr to work from. I cam translate if needed?
Thx
Al
Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

send the bigger image to my email (in sig mike crap input @ crap input horist (dot) com

+5 (most sensors use a 5volt reference on a 12 volt system) is usual for most sensors... but +12 is also posible....
Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.gearchatter.com/si/372925.png
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Is this for the LS1 or LS2?
Thx
Al
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STKN1STGEAR
Is this for the LS1 or LS2?
Thx
Al
That is for 99 F-bodies.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That is for 99 F-bodies.
do you know if the wiring for an LS2 is the same?
Thank you
Al
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Ttt...