Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone catch musclecar's alternatives for lsX into 1st gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone catch musclecar's alternatives for lsX into 1st gen camaro

if you missed the install in to their nova a while back, they raised the engine higher in the bay so a stock oil pan could clear sub frame. this caused clearance issues w/ tranny & tranny tunnel. tunnel was cut out & refabbed.

another alternative was offered on this past weekend's show. they cut the crossmember out of the subframe & then welded a smaller/thicker crossmember in its place, along with a couple of diaganal supports @ each end. looked like crossmember from an aftermarket subframe. this looked like a pretty cheap reasonable alternative to fit in a stock oil pan. cheaper than $500 pan.

to address the headers/steering clearance issue, they installed a rack & pinion in front of the cross member (normally goes behind), swapped spindles for ones w/ linkage in the front, & cut a notch in subframe for steering shaft. not so sure about this alternative. looks like moving the engine further back would be a better fix.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Default musclecar

I saw the episode. I thought it was a good idea to cut the crossmember and reinforce it. The bad thing about moving the engine back would be the problems with the firewall. I think it was a dumb idea to cut the trans tunnel on the nova. I think it could have been done without doing that.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched it too.. I was concern about how high the Trans ended up and what would the drive shaft/pinon angles be like ?

I think in most cases, using a T56 will require some cutting of the trans tunnel or getting the Engine very low in the frame. (Firewall and Oil pan mod'd most likely with this option).
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Problem w/ the front mount rack is bumpsteer issues can potentially get really bad.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He talked about the bumpsteer issues and some steps to resolve them which I must admit impressed me somewhat. However, what did not impress me was welding bolts by the head to the crossmember to mount the Rack to YIKES! haha
Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. was not to thrilled about that method of mounting. BRP Hot Rod has a kit they sell for F and X body LSx engine/trans mount and also market the kit to mount and move a 4th Gen Steering rack to the front of the Nova/Camaro. There are other kits from others vendors also. YearOne seem to work a lot with Phill of BRP.

Quick Reply: anyone catch musclecar's alternatives for lsX into 1st gen camaro