Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Just.......WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just.......WOW!!

Well, today I got to drive an '02 WS6 M6. All I can say is that was an amazing car. I've owned an '04 GTO A4 before, but this T/A put it to shame(performance wise). The interior is no match, but the fact that this is at least 300 lbs. lighter than the GTO makes it so much better. The shifter was great, the sound was nice and loud just the way I like it, but could be louder. Overall, this is a great car, and I can't wait to pick one up in a few months.(I want to get the truck paid off some so I can get more on top of the loan) This basically sealed the deal for me.

Now a hard choice (which may be solved by availability, and price). I have to decide whether I like the Z28 or the T/A better. I figure I'll save my self a little a month by forgoing the WS6 or SS. I'm going to mod it anyway. THe first things I'm going to do is get DR's, a B&M shifter, and drag bags(are these available on the f-bodies?). The one weird thing I noticed was the tach is a little delayed(which I've heard once before).

Any opinions on Z28 vs. T/A. I will be doing plenty of research myself, but would like to hear from people who have owned/driven both before. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

I personally think the interior is a bit nicer on the TA. As for looks, thats a personal opinion. If you really aren't too picky about which one to get, get the nicest/cleanest one out of the bunch. JMO
Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me ask you this...Would you rather look like an evil bird driving down the street, or look like a catfish out of water, driving down the street?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the ta looks pretty mean.....imo better than a c5
Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

thats a tossup. i have the TA think im going to buy a SS just so i can quit thinking about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Let me ask you this...Would you rather look like an evil bird driving down the street, or look like a catfish out of water, driving down the street?

Hahaha. Nice. The TA is definately mean looking, but I like the interior of the Z a little better. I think it's just the grey all over the place. If I were to get the TA, however, I would def get an aftermarket head unit. I hate the look of the stock HU. Other than that, I guess it's not too bad. Is there a TC button in the WS6? The one I drove didn't have one I could find. However, I down shifted at one point, and let out the clutch too quick, and the tires chirped a bit because they were going too slow. When this happened, a Low Trac light came on. It wasn't TC because I was lighting up the tires, and got no kick back from the throttle.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by josepy121380
thats a tossup. i have the TA think im going to buy a SS just so i can quit thinking about it.
I won't be looking for an SS or a WS6 unless it's cheap enough. I know they're the same engine, and if I mod the car, I'll be replacing the parts i paid more for anyway. The T/A or Z28 well work for me.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

It doesn't have to have TC, mine doesn't and it is a real Ws6. I also think the birds interior are nicer(plus you can put gauges in the AC vents and it looks like it came that way). But of course i'm partial to the birds. But if I were you i'd look for both and then pick the cleanest one out of a bunch. Unless you get your mind set on one or the other.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Why not? Does it have any kind of ASR/Stabilitrac?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

It has ABS.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
On the tree

TCS was a option on both the camaro and birds. It sounds like the bird you drove did not have traction control. the reason the light came on was because of the ABS system sensing that there was a wheel speed difference when you let the clutch out and made the rear wheels spin slower than the front.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheClassic
Why not? Does it have any kind of ASR/Stabilitrac?
If you see no T/C button, then the car wasnt optioned with it (not that it really needs it, mine doesnt have it).
And there is no available stability control for f-bodies, only T/C.

EDIT: Hell while Im at it I may as well tell you what to look out for. The T/A headlights are known to eat the plastic gears, so make sure the headlights go up and down easily(fix is in a sticky at top of fourm). The power windows overheating and dieing is pretty common in Fbodies, so make sure both windows work, and are not really slow(fix is in a sticky somewhere). Stock brake rotors warp pretty easily too, so thats the first thing I would replace when you buy the car.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips. That's good info. I saw the sticky about the headlights, but I'll have to look for the one about the windows. I did put the windows down in the TA I drove, and they were relatively slow. However, I don't know how fast they're supposed to be.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've driven both and prefer my WS6. The seats in the Z-28 were hard. If you ever let anyone else drive the car the mirrors being lower than the window sill may be a problem on shorter driver for a Z-28. The window motors are a known issue. Also the red interior lighting on the Pontiac, may not be to some people's liking. (reminded me of a whorehouse-so I put in aftermarket overlays and a aftermarket HU.) That being said the money G.M. spent on the F-body seem to favor the Firebirds over the Camaro.
However that is just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I did the same thing as you, drove my 00 WS6, fell in love, then traded in my car, added some cash, and have lived in heaven while driving since. From this you know I'm going to vote WS6, but do what's best for you. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Launching!

I just bought a 01 T/A, fell in love with it, havnt brought it home yet but I opened it up on the highway just a little bit and pinned the guy showing me the car into his seat. Oh and no drag bags needed for these babies. The t/a and z have solid rears vs the gto whom has irs with causes wheel hop pretty bad and can damage some serious stuff, that is why they have drag bags.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Well, that's good about the drag bags... One less thing to spend money on. Instead, I can blow that money on something else. Can anyone say strip club?

j/k
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~
I personally think the interior is a bit nicer on the TA. As for looks, thats a personal opinion. If you really aren't too picky about which one to get, get the nicest/cleanest one out of the bunch. JMO

If your on crack.........GTO has IRS and has better handling.....Fbodys have a soild rear=drag setup..
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~

Time to put away the crack pipe!
The F-body interiors are terrible; They are full of cheap plastic, and I think that Stevie Wonder did the layout. Large hump in passenger floor, e-brake handle gets in the way of the power accessory jack, door panels crack, T-tops leak, cup in cup-holder gets in the way of your arm when you are trying to shift, useless back seat, ect. I love my T/A, but I would never make an argument that it has nice interior. The GTO is superior in the interior department.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
On the tree

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

Time to put away the crack pipe!
The F-body interiors are terrible; They are full of cheap plastic, and I think that Stevie Wonder did the layout. Large hump in passenger floor, e-brake handle gets in the way of the power accessory jack, door panels crack, T-tops leak, cup in cup-holder gets in the way of your arm when you are trying to shift, useless back seat, ect. I love my T/A, but I would never make an argument that it has nice interior. The GTO is superior in the interior department.
If you dont want the hump in the rear seats then buy a front drive vehicle, most rear drive vehicles have the hump and if they dont they look like they are sitting up like a 4x4.

I also dont have a issue with my front acc power spot, the E-brake handle clears anything I have ever had to plug into it.

I do agree though that the console cup holder is useless, but that is what the slide out one is for if that one does not work.

We cant ask for alot, if you want vette or cadillac grade interiors these cars would of have been well over the $30k range, just like the GTO were. GM has always gotten knocks for its interior, but dollar for dollar they have always done better than other manufactures in the power and performance area as a trade off.

Quick Reply: Just.......WOW!!