Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger/turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default supercharger/turbo...

A long time ago I saw this crazy turbo/supercharger combo in an exotic tuner car by Koenig http://www.koenig-specials.com/ . Has anyone succeeded in a supercharger/turbo combo on an LS based engine? Is it even possible?

Last edited by bluey2kz28; 01-29-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

To me twin charging is pointless unless you want to show off the ability of a shop or yourself. The power levels that will be seen with this setup can be done with turbo or superchargers alone so IMO no need to over complicate something.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Back in my import days... ...i read about reasons for taking this approach. It seems to be pretty popular with the older MR2's but you don't see it in to many other places. The idea is to try and beat a couple of things. Using the supercharger, you can have the instant boost and low end torque desperately needed in 4 bangers. Unfortunately, most of the superchargers (roots type) fall off about 10-12 psi due to heat soak and other things. Of course with a big turbo you're going to get lag. Well, not if you got a supercharger helping on the low end side. So they try and use a huge turbo (well big for the engine size) without compromising with turbo lag. It's suppose to be a tuning NIGHTMARE though. So it isn't really seen to much.

With the LS engines, why go through the trouble. We already have low end torque and you can use a decent size turbo without as much affect from lag. And the supercharged apps can make TONS of power alone too.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by md420
To me twin charging is pointless unless you want to show off the ability of a shop or yourself. The power levels that will be seen with this setup can be done with turbo or superchargers alone so IMO no need to over complicate something.
Thanks, I guess that is one way of looking at it.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by K99Raptor
Back in my import days... ...i read about reasons for taking this approach. It seems to be pretty popular with the older MR2's but you don't see it in to many other places. The idea is to try and beat a couple of things. Using the supercharger, you can have the instant boost and low end torque desperately needed in 4 bangers. Unfortunately, most of the superchargers (roots type) fall off about 10-12 psi due to heat soak and other things. Of course with a big turbo you're going to get lag. Well, not if you got a supercharger helping on the low end side. So they try and use a huge turbo (well big for the engine size) without compromising with turbo lag. It's suppose to be a tuning NIGHTMARE though. So it isn't really seen to much.

With the LS engines, why go through the trouble. We already have low end torque and you can use a decent size turbo without as much affect from lag. And the supercharged apps can make TONS of power alone too.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks K99 Raptor.

These were along the lines of what I was thinking as far as the low end torque and top end horsepower were concerned.

With the advancement of technology I would assume that the task may be easier to accomplish.

Quick Reply: supercharger/turbo...