Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valves

im getting ready to get my stock heads ported should i hold of on getting a valve job till i get new valves orare stock valves ok? also what is the advantage of aftermarket valves?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bluenyghthawk
im getting ready to get my stock heads ported should i hold of on getting a valve job till i get new valves orare stock valves ok? also what is the advantage of aftermarket valves?

I had these same questions, except I stated I was on a tight budget. from what I found out, the after market valves will be heavier, but will flow better ofcourse. I was told to expect to see around 5cfm gain between stock valves and aftermarket valves. maybe a bit more if you go bigger valves. also, some of the valves Ive seen are flat across the bottom, not sunken (perhaps where the extra weight comes from?) which would result in higher compression at no Ptv clearance cost. not sure how much, Im guessing 1-2cc worth.

Ive heard good things about the REV valves.

Id also love to hear others opinions on this though. maybe my next set I will replace the valves on.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

remember, 5cfm is NOT going to even be 5 hp, its probably more like a 1-1.5 hp gain. you've got to determine if thats worth it for you.

for me, i decided to keep stock valves on my new heads that i ordered, because i'm not trying to squeeze every little hp i can get out of it, the cost was not worth a minimal gain.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

so should i get the valve job done on the stock valves they got 40k on them
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Yes, just get a valve job on your stock valves. The biggest reason to use aftermarket valves would be if you were using nitrous or forced induction, as stainless valves can handle the higher temps and cylinder pressures better than stock valves can.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well then ill hold off cause later on im gonna go turbo and ill put new valves in it then i dont have money to do it right now