Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Straight Radiator Hose

McMaster-Carr catalogs this hose. I was wondering if it would work for my cooling system. I know the rating is to 212, but run of the mill radiator hose is nothing real special either. It appears to be a Gates product. I need to make a number of short straight runs, and don't need the protection offered by the really thick walled ($$$) stuff.

General Purpose Buna-N/SBR Rubber Coolant Hose
P/N 5285K32

Use with coolants and antifreeze
Tube: Blended Buna-N/SBR (styrene butadiene rubber)
Cover: Blended Buna-N/SBR
Reinforcement: Nylon screen
Temperature Range: 0° to 212° F
Vacuum: Not rated
Color: Black
Hose Material Meets: SAE J20R1
Here's a hose that is ideal for low-pressure coolant applications. Hose ID is smooth for unrestricted flow. Can be used outdoors.

Anyone familiar with this product? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any familiarity with that stuff.....

Will you be running this on the suction side or the pressure side? Most suction side applications either need to be reinforced (spring, wire, whatever) or extremely short with some curves in order for the pump not to suck the hose closed.

I do have some experience with marine hose, and it should be similarly priced to the stuff McMaster has. Check with your local marine retailer and look at it. Be warned, you'll only want to use it for fairly straight runs, most of that type stuff has 1 or 2 steel wires in it, making it nearly impossible to suck closed, but also tough to bend (or cut for that matter). Nice thing about the local marine retailer is that you can get your hot little hands on it, touch and feel it, and buy just the length you need (instead of a minimum + shipping).

Some examples of marine engine hose:
West Marine / Boat US: Item # 227108
Hamilton Marine: Item # 149623 or 102513
Boater's World's catalog lists Item # 35-711-0485, but it doesn't come up on their website.
All of those items have specifications similar to the hose from McMaster, but are ALOT stouter. Like burst strengths in the 200+ psi range.

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 01-31-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, short runs. I'm planning on as much hard line as possible on my 914 V8 conversion. I've seen the marine stuff, and it is very heavy walled indeed. As one engineer to another (your profile), I just wanted to see if and where it would fail given the 212 degree spec and hoping someone has perhaps tried it.

Andy1
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand.....

Most of the marine stuff is the same ID/OD as the McMaster item you listed.

But the marine stuff also only looked like it was good to like 200 F or so (but that's probably a continuous rating, I'd bet intermittent is probably good for 250+). But was also good for alot more pressure (couple hundred psi (YIKES!)) so maybe it all balances out.

Also, what temp thermostat you plan on running? Stock ones are like 175, aren't they?

With a bunch of hard line (extra surface area) and a decent radiator you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping it cool enough that the hose (whichever you pick) will never give you any trouble.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Straight Radiator Hose