Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?

Anyone ever done this? Ive got a 03 5.3 with wiring harness less the computer. Its going to be dropped into a 81 Jeep CJ7 with a 700R4/231/300. Jeep will live most of its life offroad, will see its fair share of mud, creeks, rain, ect. Im a tad bit worried about setting up a drive by wire in the jeep due to those conditions. Has anyone tried to make the wiring harness work with a pre 03 computer and use a pre 03 throttle body with the apropriate connectors for IAC, TPS? Or am I looking into something totally unusuall and need to find the wiring diagrams for myself?

Thanks.
Kyle
Old 02-01-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was under the impression that you could just swap TB's
The following users liked this post:
August (05-25-2020)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have seen it done with the '03 and '04 computers. They just need to be programmed properly.
You can add the wiring for the T.B. yourself if you have the capability, or contact one of the wiring sponsors to add it for you. I would assume they could take care of the programming as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Good deal! That makes my life easier!

Kyle
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed. That's how my swap works. I removed the drive by wire TB from my 2003 engine and replaced with a cable version. Added connectors, reprogrammed PCM and fired it up.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
Agreed. That's how my swap works. I removed the drive by wire TB from my 2003 engine and replaced with a cable version. Added connectors, reprogrammed PCM and fired it up.
Did you change just the Throtte body? how about any brackets or cable part nos? I have a 2003 5.3 going into a jeep. whats the part no for the Thottle body?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

The throttle body I got off Ebay.. don't have the number handy.. got it for around $75. I used a Lokar throttle cable designed for LS1/LT1. The cable bracket was a problem. The drive by wire intakes have the three holes for the cable bracket mount bolts but only one has the metal threaded insert. I could not source those inserts through Chevrolet either, they just wanted to sell me a new intake manifold. For now, until I can find the correct parts, I installed the cable bracket on the intake with only one bolt tightended down, the other 2 just placed in the holes to keep it from moving around. Not the best solution I know, but it has worked for me over the last 8 months with no problems...
Old 02-09-2007, 03:10 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you put heli-coils in the holes? Either that or how about taking a look at industrial epoxies, there are at least a few that would allow you to pack the hole with epoxy, coat the bolt with a light oil or release agent, thread it in and then the epoxy will dry forming threads around the bolt.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Yup, the epoxy will work.. I was planning on filling the holes with JB Liquid Weld and then drilling and tapping threads.... just hasn't come up to the top of the "must do" list.....
Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default jbweld

thumbs up for jb weld. Thats how I did my head vent to heater hose adapter. Took an Auto zone flush and fill t. Put a threaded barb fitting from Lowes in the fill hole and packed it with jbweld and then put the cap over the barb fitting after drilling hole in cap. Rolled up paper tube in the hose section of the t to keep jb weld out of it. Works great, cheap. Keep a couple of tubes handy for stuff like that. Also works good for patching holes you accidentally drill in your ac condensor when mounting tranny cooler. Drill stops don't always work! Especially when they're made from tyewraps.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Default Problems!!

I just purchased a 2002 LS1-LS6 throttle body from a 2002 camaro to fit onto my 2002 Vortec 8.1 and am having some issues. Number 1 is the throttle pulley is hitting the oil fill. No problem there as I can shorten it down. Problem number 2 is that the drive by wire setup has one less plug in than the drive by cable. The cable setup also has multiple tube hookups that I have no idea where they go. Any suggestions? Here are some pictures of the throttel bodies side by side.
Attached Thumbnails Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?-tb1.jpg   Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?-tb2.jpg   Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?-tb3.jpg   Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?-tb4.jpg   Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?-overall1.jpg  

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

The ECM pinouts on the harness need to be completely re-pinned to match the 02 and earlier program in the ecm. I am facing the same problem with my swap. Your best bet is to get 2 separate pinouts for the ECM, one for your DBW motor and one for the engine that your ECM program will be tailored after, compare the two and pin your harness for the new programs requirements.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

So your the guy thats building frankies 4th chassis....Speartech is doing my harness to convert my 06 5.3 to drive by cable....dont know what it takes other than$$.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

How do you retain cruise control?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Yes I am the guy building Frankie's 4th chassis. It is taking some additional fab work, but nothing that can't be handled.

RYANVV355, you completly lost me on that. I already have the 8.1's 2002 wiring harness for the 2002 8.1 engine and a supposedly 2002 cable throttle body. Can you dumb it down for me? As to cruise control, I am not worrying about it.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Also, where do all of the additional (I am assuming) vacuum hoses go?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Alright, the 03+ harness and ecm pin arrangements are different from a -02. Basically you need to add wires for the TPS and IAC and re-pin both ECM connectors to work with the -02 tune. For example, lets say on an 02 6.0 pin 1 at the ECM is for IAC (its not, just saying that as an example) on a 03 pin 1 will be for a different sensor. Its not as easy as just adding some wires and reprogramming the ECM.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Alright, the 03+ harness and ecm pin arrangements are different from a -02. Basically you need to add wires for the TPS and IAC and re-pin both ECM connectors to work with the -02 tune. For example, lets say on an 02 6.0 pin 1 at the ECM is for IAC (its not, just saying that as an example) on a 03 pin 1 will be for a different sensor. Its not as easy as just adding some wires and reprogramming the ECM.
Actually... it is that easy.
There is no reason to go back to an earlier computer. The '03-up ECM can be flashed as an Express Van with a cable TB and that'll take care of that.
Then just add the wires for the IAC and TPS which are the same pins as an '02 truck

Nevermind, just realized you are talking about an 8.1L now, I was thinking we were still talking about the 5.3's
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Evidently I am not making myself clear or I DEFINITELY do not understand (or both). I have a complete 02 harness, an 02 computer (both came from the donor vehicle for the 02 8.1 engine) and an advertised 02 cable throttle body. I have an additional wiring "port" on the cable throttle body that the 02 drive by wire throttle body did not have (see above pictures). It also has additional vaccuum ports that the drive by wire did not have (see above pictures). If I have to add wires, ok, but where do I add them too? Where do the vacuum ports go (Should I just plug them)? I have searched, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for a better understanding on this adding wires process, please do!

Thanks and I apologize for the redundancy. Just trying to make this clear in my mind.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Teching In

OK, I think I may understand or I don't. What do I do with the plug that went into the throttle actuator for the drive by wire? Do I plug that into the available receptacle on the drivfe by cable setup?

Quick Reply: Drive by wire conversion to throttle cable?