General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

maybe spun a main bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe spun a main bearing.

My truck has been having eratic oil pressure here lately. It seems to fluctuate and nothign seems to wanna bring it back up. I assumed at first that maybe the oil was just moving around the pan and was away from the pickup but im not sure. Ussually when that happens if you stop the car on level ground and blip the throttle a little it'll go back up but not anymore. It does have more of a ticking sound coming from the engine then a knocking one. And it seems to almost dissapear when warm. Is there any other ways to tell if it's a spun main? I'm thinking it might not be since i've been driving it this way for a week or so. I used a diffrent oil this time. Castrol because it was on sale. Could this be the issue? I've never trusted that brand.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Definetley swap out your Oil Pressure Sending Unit. If its a gen III engine then it's right behind the intake manifold. You of course will have to pull that out but its very common for those things to go bad trust me.

Josh
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best thing to do is just drop the oil pan, if you have any kind of lower end issue, youll be able to see metal in the pan, if you see metal that leads to the next step, dropping the main caps and checking it all out....

i dont think it would be a sending unit, if theres noise and the heat is effecting the psi....the sending unit is just the gauge and nothing more and when they break they usually break all the way...meaning your truck would read NO oil pressure at all
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

oh oops i should have specified. This is my 4.0 v-6 truck engine. No way i'd ever put castrol in my car. If it was spun would there be shavings in the oil on the dipstick? It's snowing so im trying to avoid dropping the pan right now.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive never seen them come back out the dipstick....if you really dont feel like dropping the pan right now, you could just go get a magnetic drain plug...that wont be the best thing, but it might give you an idea...