Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Extension - Wire Source???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Harness Extension - Wire Source???

Hey guys,
I went out and bought a buch of wire to extend my harness a bit and after the first couple of solders it's clear this isn't the right stuff. The insulation damm near melts off while soldering.

What kind of wire are you using when you modify your harness and where can I find it?

Many Thanks!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for places that sell GXL wire. I just went through this. I'm in Chicago and bought 10 colors in 20' lengths at Terminal Supply Co. and also bought some Delco wire from a place in Canada on ebay. Most places will want to sell 100' increments. I went there in person and was able to buy smaller quantities. I paid $.06/ft at TSC. They also sell the GM terminals and pins.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I had similar issues and went the easiest and most cost effective way. A trip to a local yard and pulled out a harness from a clean GM car and snagged both sides of all the weatherpack connectors. You'll have ten times more connectors and wire than you need for 20 bucks total. The colors were an exact match too ( some different but I just didnt use them )

Those little weatherpack deals are pricey new and there are lots of variations in the wire gauge. Then I soldered and heat shrinked them all in and it looks completely stock and as an added bonus I got more conduit ( black wire covering ) to make the final result pristinely clean and stock looking. Good luck

Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a couple of incomplete harnesses at a junk yard too and just did the solder/heat-shrink insulation splices and had no issues of conductivity or anyting else and duplicated all of the original colors, markings and diameters.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here on the used harnesses. I do some harness mods for folks, and I keep the old/spare stuff that they don't need, and I pick up used and damaged harnesses elsewhere for cheap. Lots of good wire and connectors for cheap, cheap, cheap.

Quick Reply: Harness Extension - Wire Source???