Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted Ferrari anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converted Ferrari anyone?

It has one conversion already done and I think an LS would look right at home in this. Besides it would really tick off a bunch of Ferrari purists if you brought it out to one of their track events, and I think that would be fun to watch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250078363203

I know it's kinda off topic but I just thought this would be the best place for it. Besides, maybe someone here will ****** it up and convert it to LS
Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well hell I scroll down the threads page and there is EPP's 308 Ferrari. So yeah I had a good idea. I am glad to see someone run with it too
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy over in the Mercedes forum was writing about dropping an LS7 into an SLK, the small Mercedes sport coupe: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...&highlight=ls7
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Funny cause today I was thinking about getting a diesel mercedes and hoping up the diesel. Wonder how that would work out.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

LOL. Well, if you had an MB with a 240D badge but an LSx under the hood, you'd certainly surprise a lot of people at the stop light!

One of the bigger concerns seems to be the transmission control unit. Consensus seems to be you can get the ECU to work with some effort but getting an automatic TCU to work with a different engine is especially challenging. Maybe an older auto tranny wouldn't have the same issues? Certainly a manual tranny wouldn't.

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
Funny cause today I was thinking about getting a diesel mercedes and hoping up the diesel. Wonder how that would work out.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

FYI, I'm in the middle of putting an '02 LS6 into an '87 Mercedes 560SEC. It ain't easy, it ain't cheap, but it will be fun!!

At low rpm's, the 5.7L LS6 might sound enough like a 5.6L Benz engine with an exhaust system, which means I can sneak up on Mercedes gatherings since I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America. I'm VERY seriously thinking about getting plain covers for the coil packs and painting them body color before I add a "Mercedes" vinyl decal to them - just to see who knows what they're looking at when I pop the hood.

Just the opposite at a 'Vette club gathering that I will find one day - pop the hood and ask if I can join in. :-)

Then there are the ricers that will definitely wonder what the hell just happened if they pick on the "old, stodgy Mercedes driven by the old guy".
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just want to know who had the brilliant idea of dropping that slug into the Ferrari. That's just downright disrespectful.

On the EPP note, they're right down the street from me (relatively speaking), I'm planning to go take a look at it once they get some more work done.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! Neat project. I bet if you posted the details, people would find it really interesting.

Originally Posted by mramay
FYI, I'm in the middle of putting an '02 LS6 into an '87 Mercedes 560SEC. It ain't easy, it ain't cheap, but it will be fun!!

At low rpm's, the 5.7L LS6 might sound enough like a 5.6L Benz engine with an exhaust system, which means I can sneak up on Mercedes gatherings since I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America. I'm VERY seriously thinking about getting plain covers for the coil packs and painting them body color before I add a "Mercedes" vinyl decal to them - just to see who knows what they're looking at when I pop the hood.

Just the opposite at a 'Vette club gathering that I will find one day - pop the hood and ask if I can join in. :-)

Then there are the ricers that will definitely wonder what the hell just happened if they pick on the "old, stodgy Mercedes driven by the old guy".
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

I always wondered if an ls1 would go into a Ferrari gtb, It comes with a 4 speed manual, which would need to be replaced. The thing that worried me is the engine being in the back. Lots of Fabrication would be needed.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks like there may be room in there for a V8.

You may need to do a bit of work as you will probably need a Porche G50 transaxle set up like what this guys use.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I just want to know who had the brilliant idea of dropping that slug into the Ferrari. That's just downright disrespectful.

On the EPP note, they're right down the street from me (relatively speaking), I'm planning to go take a look at it once they get some more work done.

haha my thoughts exactly which is why I posted it here. I mean why a 2.8? Now a SC 3.8 out of a GTP might be a good way to go. It would definetly be better than that 2.8.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mramay

That's awsome. As for my idea, yes a manual would be my choice. As for everyone else, why bother staying with the mercedes transmission and computer. Fool the computer into thinking it's working and gut the rest of the wiring. Could that not work?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

The 2.8 is only good as a boat anchor . . . I couldn't get that thing out of my blazer fast enough! Although it did get me where I needed to go and faught hard till the end.

Beautiful car either way.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why oh why would you do that???

if a lexus 4.0ltr V8 can fit in the back of an MR2 i think it should fit in one of these!

G50 and LSx (inc the LS7 ) have been done on these cars aswell.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=20&h=0

factory is

http://www.ultimasportscars.co.uk/

thanks Chris.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Launching!

That's awsome. As for my idea, yes a manual would be my choice. As for everyone else, why bother staying with the mercedes transmission and computer. Fool the computer into thinking it's working and gut the rest of the wiring. Could that not work?
Yep, that's the goal. I have a heavy duty 4L60E ready to go in and a Jeff Creech programmed PCM as well. Hooking up that PCM is not the hard part, it's trying to figure out what MB wiring I don't need anymore and remove it.

As much as I love my Mercedes, I did do a search on eBay for 308's to see if there was one with a blown engine. That LS6 sitting in my garage would be "interesting" in a light car like the Ferrari!! Lucky for my Benz, they all were runners.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has one conversion already done and I think an LS would look right at home in this. Besides it would really tick off a bunch of Ferrari purists if you brought it out to one of their track events, and I think that would be fun to watch.

I know it's kinda off topic but I just thought this would be the best place for it. Besides, maybe someone here will ****** it up and convert it to LS
it has already been done.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbocharged Northstar would look good in there also.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digitalsolo

nah!
the first car they did it to was a 308 with 200 hp. it was missing both distributor caps (yes it has 2) at over $400 a piece and ther were other pboblems. so would you thro w money at a slug? or make it better. if enzo had the ls1 motor that is what he would have used.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Teching In

LSx in a ferrari...

Brilliant! I love the 308 man that would be a fun car with a LSx engine.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

It would be a great setup!

Quick Reply: Converted Ferrari anyone?