Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

definitely need converter help, Vig killed my FLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default definitely need converter help, Vig killed my FLT

Yep, you read right, the FLT - 5 is shot as is the 9.5" PI converter.

I sent the trans back to FLT for them to do a refurb on. As far as I can tell (and the guys at FLT) the converter took a crap for sure this time. The trans is getting healthy again as we speak and my custom braided stainless cooler lines are being made up... So thats underway.

PS, thanks FedEx for that awesome delivery job on the trans -but thats a whole different story

Here's my dillema...
-A. Get the existing converter rebuilt for $225 plus the cost of whatever's hosed up inside there... The cost could end up WAY up there by the time its all said and done with going that route. And I still have a single dick converter in a 4500lb 400+ whp truck...yeah, not going to last long.
*Ending cost: $225+whatever parts are broken+27.90X2=

-B. Get the existing converter upgraded to a multi disk (3 disk) for $385 plus whatever parts are messed up again.. .with the upgrade it'll get a new front cover (all billet) and all the guts needed to make it multi disk.... but whatever parts they have to reuse that are toast will have to be replaced... costing even more loot on top. By the time its all said and done, the cost could end up as much as a new converter.
*Ending cost: $385+leftover needed parts to complete build+27.90X2=

-C. Just forget about this converter all together and chalk it up as a loss.... buy a new converter... 9.5" 3800 triple disk for LS1/65E
*Ending cost: $934+27.90X2=

-D. Buy a Yank for less $$ but never personally had one. Driven 2 trucks with Yanks, and liked them great!
*Ending cost: $ who knows until I loook around for some deals....

I wave the "You get what you pay for" banner all day long and it bit me as well, I got this one second hand for cheap and it didnt turn out to last too long for me. Not the sellers fault, Thats the way it goes sometimes. I'll only have a Yank or PI Vig in my vehicle so please dont respond with, this guy's making X converter for $300 and its in X car and running great etc etc...I just really dont have a G to drop on a converter right now.

Thanks for hearing my mini-rant :rant off:
Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I know.. its hilarious isnt it...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

That sucks man....but a tranny or anything having to do with the tranny i would NEVER buy used....hope u get ur car back together.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I know.. its hilarious isnt it...
sorry man but it sounds like one of those stories that only happens to other people
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

sure does... but this time I am "that guy" LOL.... never buy used....

*lesson learned*
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Did PI guess as to why it failed? Was it too much power/weight for the single disk? You should always have a converter flushed for a new trans. It doesn't cost much.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

If you want to save money and still get a good torque converter out of this, send the Vig back to Terry at P.I.. Changing from a one disc to a three disc does not make the torque converter stronger, just a better WOT lockup. I have been a distributor for P.I. for over nine years and have had only a couple of problems with their TC's. So I would say you should be fine once it is reworked.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I would definitely go that route but I am trying to get away from a 9.5" converter all together. it just doesnt have the clutch surface area I need... a 10.5" is a must a this point. plus I'd like to try out a different brand...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely go that route but I am trying to get away from a 9.5" converter all together. it just doesnt have the clutch surface area I need... a 10.5" is a must a this point. plus I'd like to try out a different brand...
well, wave bye-bye to a high stall then... 10.5" will not stall higher than 25-2600 from P.I. been there done that.. I wouldn't trust any other company if they say they can build a 10.5" and have it stall where you want, from what I have been told by those in the know, it can be done, but at the cost of efficiency, almost "faking" you into thinking it is going quicker but up top wil be a Dog.. good luck...

also, don't you spray a 150 shot in that truck? the title of the thread is kinda misleading, sounds like the "Vig" let you down... you're running a heavy truck with a BIG shot of juice on it.. In that case you are better off with a larger converter, N2o will probably benefit from a little lower stall, were you locking up at WOT? I know my VIG does, but I have a MultiDisk and no N2o..

Last edited by TonyGXP; 02-07-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Did PI guess as to why it failed? Was it too much power/weight for the single disk? You should always have a converter flushed for a new trans. It doesn't cost much.
i flush mine with mineral spirits, got that from some racers and tranny pros
Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can get a bigger clutch face it you order the nitrous models, least that is what fuddle and i think yank have
Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
well, wave bye-bye to a high stall then... 10.5" will not stall higher than 25-2600 from P.I. been there done that.. I wouldn't trust any other company if they say they can build a 10.5" and have it stall where you want, from what I have been told by those in the know, it can be done, but at the cost of efficiency, almost "faking" you into thinking it is going quicker but up top wil be a Dog.. good luck...

also, don't you spray a 150 shot in that truck? the title of the thread is kinda misleading, sounds like the "Vig" let you down... you're running a heavy truck with a BIG shot of juice on it.. In that case you are better off with a larger converter, N2o will probably benefit from a little lower stall, were you locking up at WOT? I know my VIG does, but I have a MultiDisk and no N2o..
Yeah, I'm spraying a 150 single stage wet shot on it... its going to be a 2 stage 75 dry / 125 wet here soon enough... I'm going with a Yank converter this time around. I'm ordering the SS3600... I cant go with anything less though... I have to have something billet that can take the weight and horespower... plus, everyone says this one will flash great on nitrous.

and it actually was this Vig converter that **** the bed on me... I dont have a problem with PI or anything... just this converter. Like I said, I got it second hand. (bad idea) I wouldnt think twice about going with them again, but right now I want to try somethign new.