Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA or SLP CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTRA or SLP CAI

Which would be better to get, Fast Toys Ram Air, or SLP cold air intake? Or should I just spend my money on something else?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Read the very 1st post in the thread below. FTRA for the win.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ewbie+mistakes
Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

ssra.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

I would go with the FTRA.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neither, get the SSRA tis better than them both
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ftra Ftw
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I also say SSRA. The maker just switched the materials used to make it as well which in my opinion will probably make for a better part. I'm unsure but I think of the ones listed it's the only one with a lower assembly which helps the induction quite a bit more, oh yeah, and it's less susceptible to heat soak do to the material it's made out of. SSRA all the way!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with my SLP CAI.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

I had the slp one on my formula and it ran good. But I hear ftra was better.

What is the ssra? I havent heard of it until this thread?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

super sucker ram air...search ssra
Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i went with an SLP CAI because it doesnt block my radiator and though its not likely with a FTRA theres no chance of it sucking up water.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

In our testing, the SLP CAI was no better than the cold air mod. There is always a chance of sucking up water, even with a stock motor. The FTRA inlcludes a block off plate to help ensure it doesn't happen though. Check out www.installuniversity.com for a 3rd party review of the FTRA. It's been on the market for 9 years with LOTS of happy customers. It is make of T304 stainless steel and will last the lifetime of your vehicle.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

anyone interested in a potential ssra gp post in this thread. we need as many people as possible to convince lmperformance

https://ls1tech.com/forums/group-purchase-requests/649693-lm-performance-can-we-get-ssra-gp-going.html
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
In our testing, the SLP CAI was no better than the cold air mod. There is always a chance of sucking up water, even with a stock motor. The FTRA inlcludes a block off plate to help ensure it doesn't happen though. Check out www.installuniversity.com for a 3rd party review of the FTRA. It's been on the market for 9 years with LOTS of happy customers. It is make of T304 stainless steel and will last the lifetime of your vehicle.

do you still offer that extension to make an SLP CAI into a FTRA?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Resident

FTRA, definitely. i don't know why people are saying the SSRA is better. i doubt it'll make anymore power than the FTRA. also, the SSRA hangs very low and you can severely damage it or your car by parking and getting the nose too far over the curb and scraping it. the SSRA reduces front end ground clearance and the FTRA doesn't. i also like the FTRA being made out of stainless steel instead of plastic. i know people worry about IAT temperatures, but stainless steel has a cooling effect in cool temperatures and while moving. the SSRA also looks like it has a much better chance of sucking up water from a puddle than the FTRA - the FTRA comes with a blockoff plate, too, to protect against that. not saying the SSRA is bad, those were my reasons for going FTRA.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FTRA ftw.

I didn't want to mess with SSRA to avoid the duct under the front, I'm positive I'd destroy that just pulling out of my driveway.

also, I dig the metal over plastic.

also, I prefer a stealth look. instead of visible.

Last edited by Finite1; 02-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Finite1
FTRA ftw.

I didn't want to mess with SSRA to avoid the duct under the front, I'm positive I'd destroy that just pulling out of my driveway.

also, I dig the metal over plastic.

also, I prefer a stealth look. instead of visible.
basically my reasoning. if only i knew how to do it with less than 400 words i ramble
Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

i've heard a ton about both of these and if you think about it, the ssra HAS to make more power than the ftra simply because of the extra scoop. i haven't really heard of anyone having problems with water on either system (except some guy who drove through like a 2 foot deep puddle at 30 mph if i remember correctly....idiot lol). and as long as you're just careful when parking there shouldnt be a problem with the ssra. from what i've seen most stock height cars have no clearance issues with curbs. if you'r car is lowered like 1.5 inches than maybe, so just park a foot further back from the curb. if you're really that concerned about it you have the option of only installing the top half. here is a post where some guy picked up a friggin 15 rwhp with just the top half!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/608941-02-z28-w-ptb-dynoes-298-w-slp-lid-dynoes-303-w-slp-lid-ssra2-dynoes-318-a.html
i also think the heat soak of the metal ftra is detrimental. even if you disagree you have to admit that the ftra blocks a large portion of the radiator whereas the ssra angles away from it, so it has 2 advantages towards keeping the car cooler. as far as blockoff plates goes, with the ssra all you need is to cut a piece of cardboard or something the same size as the hole and voila, a blockoff plate. i'm not knocking the ftra and i'm sure its a quality piece, but after reading literally hundreds of posts on this and other ls1 message boards i've decided the ssra would be better as far as my car goes. the biggest drawback as far as i'm concerned is the damn price. that's why a bunch of us are trying to get a gp going. if we could get even like $15-$20 knocked off the price it would be almost the same price as the ftra.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd agree, by NOT going with SSRA's under front scoop, you definately sacrifice somthing.

I'd also agree the FTRA metal is rather close to the A/C Condenser. and heat soak could be potentially an issue.. but a lot of air should be coming in that area.

but I'll be driving this summer in AZ with it.. and I've had no problems with overheating or anything weird so far. I'm happy with it. any way you go, it's DEFINATELY better than stock.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

We've never tested an FTRA against a SSRA but I am pretty confident that given that fact that both systems draw air from the same place (under the front bumper), and the SSRA upper portion is basically a copy of the FTRA, the performance gains should be pretty identical.

A lot of people talk about the FTRA blocking the radiator. It is true that it does take some of the air that would normally go through the radiator but so does the SSRA. Only a certain amount of air goes through the under side of the car towards the rad and both products are capturing some of it. However, we did design the FTRA so that you can remove the lower portion while leaving the top portion installed in the RARE event you ever have cooling problems. We only know of one customer that had to remove the lower piece and he was towing in desert heat. We have customers running the FTRA in Hawaii, Kuwait etc with no problems.

With that being said, your purchase decision really boils down to the following:

1. Do you want plastic or metal ? Plastic doesn't heat soak but is more fragile. The FTRA is T304 stainless steel so it is strong and will last the life time of your vehicle. The FTRA's will heat soak if you are stuck in traffic but the temps drop down as soon as you start moving (within seconds according to tests). When the temperature is cold, the stainless steel will also keep the incoming air temperature colder. Some sneaky customers even have used ice packs and liquified gases sprayed on the FTRA to increase the cooling effects for drag racing. Sneakier customers even plumb their Nitrous up in the FTRA

2. Do you want stealth or do you want to see the intake? The FTRA can be installed completely stealth. Unless you stick your head under the car, you will never see it. You do not need to drill any holes in the bumper to install it. The SSRA is clearly visible from the front of the car.

3. The FTRA comes with a block off plate, the SSRA does not.

4. Installation instructions and support. We stand behind our product and have what we feels are excellent instructions (lots of pictures, tips and diagrams). We've been in business since 1998 and continue to make new products and offer a full performance product line up. It's your call here.

5. Price. The FTRA is cheaper.

Decide what you feel works best for you and then buy your product. Both are sure to increase your performance.