Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp sender adapter (might have good news

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default temp sender adapter (might have good news

i was not happy with the cheap metric adapters, and some guys broke off in the head. i have a stewart warner temp gauge and they are made only 8 miles from my house. so i stoped in there today and talked to 2 of the tech guys. i said if they could make the sender 12mm and go into the head without an adapter, that would be great, they said they will come up with something to help and will call me next week. they said i was the first to bring this to there attention and need to have something for the problem with all the ls1`s going into older cars. i will keep everyone posted mike
Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the effort, man. I've already broken one of the cheap ones myself and have been looking for a better solution. Keep us posted.
The Geezer
Old 02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have to room to use an adapter.. the AC box would have gotten in the way with it sticking out so far.. so.. I just drilled and tape for 3/8" NPT.

But that is good.. On my next conversion (my 71 Nova).. I might look into S/W if they get it to market.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
i was not happy with the cheap metric adapters, and some guys broke off in the head. i have a stewart warner temp gauge and they are made only 8 miles from my house. so i stoped in there today and talked to 2 of the tech guys. i said if they could make the sender 12mm and go into the head without an adapter, that would be great, they said they will come up with something to help and will call me next week. they said i was the first to bring this to there attention and need to have something for the problem with all the ls1`s going into older cars. i will keep everyone posted mike
dude just retap the hole for the SAE sender. That is what i did. talk to the Stewart W guys they should have recomended that.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rethreading the head will work if you are going to run a sender that is 3/8 NPT, but a lot of the electric gauges use 1/8 NPT senders which are smaller than the 12mm hole.

I cut down my 3/8" sender and then threaded it with 12mm threads.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

the guys at stewart warner said they want to help with this, and that is kool with me. you should be able to buy a gauge with a sending unit that works in a gm engine without a drill and tap job.or sum cheap adapter. i am in no hurry and will wait to see what they come up with before i do the drill and tap thing. have lots of other stuff on the car to work on lol plus its like 10 degrees and get`in colder mike
Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Teching In

the guys at stewart warner said they want to help with this, and that is kool with me. you should be able to buy a gauge with a sending unit that works in a gm engine without a drill and tap job.or sum cheap adapter. i am in no hurry and will wait to see what they come up with before i do the drill and tap thing. have lots of other stuff on the car to work on lol plus its like 10 degrees and get`in colder mike
any word on that 12mm sending unit?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to buy a gauge with a sending unit that works in a GM engine without a drill and tap job. or some cheap adapter.
I've got to agree with that, especially after all this time. It's been nearly 2 years from the start of this thread, you'd think that someone would've stepped up to the plate by now...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I just went through this. You can buy senders with M10 and M14 threads, but SOL on the M12. And yes, I did snap off one of the 1/8NPT x M12 adapters even after reading about how fragile they are. I saw that SW catalogs what looks like, in their on line photo, as a steel adapter. When I called my FLAPS, they told me their search revealed it was discontinued??

Andys
Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Any news on the M12 sending unit?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dakota Digital makes a 12MM sender, but I have no idea if it works with other brands of guages. Might be worth a call.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

wow that is a long time. i gave up on them, lots of talk no action, so i just tapped the water pump on that flat spot. works good. mike

Quick Reply: temp sender adapter (might have good news