Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter lock up problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter lock up problem

Well I'l ltry and keep this short. My 1996 S10 has a problem. has for awhile. It has 179,600 miles, tranny's never been rebuilt. In the winter when it's cold if i drive it for a while, shut it off then start it back up the TC won't lock up.

I can floor it won't matter. I've changed the brake switch, TC solenoid, took the valve body out to sleeve the valve, there wasn't any wear in the valvlebody. I've monitored it with the Tech 2. After doing a snapshot we found that the truck was moving at 31mph, but the engine speed and tranny OSS read 0. I know the truck was moving. A guy at the tranny shop told me he's seen the OSS go bad on the 4L60's, but the only thing is when he's seen them go bad before, the tranny won't shift. My tranny works perfect, except for the TC.

And yes I've checked the tranny temp,last time I watched it with the Tech 2 it was about 150 degrees. So it was hott enough to enable lockup, but wouldn't.

I need help, I've asked guys at the chevy dealer I work at. And they really don't know. I've taken it to the tranny shop 6 times within the last 3 yrs and they aren't really sure. I don't wana just throw parts at it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well a vss will not generally keep one from shfting, I have seen quite a few with the speedo not working and still shift though not completely normally,Sine your getting those odd readings that would be the first place I would look . Lockup is controlled by throttle position, engine temp, engine rpm , and speed any one of these can cause it to disable , If the data stream is not showing lockup enabled it will be in one of these systems

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats the other thing he said was the speedo would not work. On the other trucks. That was our guess was a bad OSS. If it's a reasonable price I'm just going to order one and put it in.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

they are not expensive and that will cause no lockup

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Torque converter lock up problem