Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans mount

I have a 6sp z28 and i installed a energy suspension trans mount and now i get this nasty vibration in the car above 60mph. The u-joints are fine every thing is balanced and tight i think the mount changed my pinion angle, can you guys give me some help
Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

that mount will do that, its alot more stiff, when i did mine it was way to loud, so i just installed my stock one back, many other get the same prob
Old 02-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

The mount will not cause a nasty vibration, did you use the pre-load plate that came with it? I have the same mount and have no unusual shaking..
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably is the mount and MANY people have the same issue. I was one of the ones who had issues. I did all the recommended fixes like: shaving down two humps of urethane on the mount on the side where the preload plate is and deleting the preload plate. Few people do not have the vibration issue for some reason but MANY others have had the same problem. The Prothane mount and the ES mount both have the same issue on some cars...not all. Mine was less with the modified mount but still there. Quite a few people have had the exact same issue...do a quick search. Good luck!!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

i think it might be a combination of the mounts shareing the vibration and shake of the engine, so if u got prothane or aftermarket motor mounts combined with the the prothane trans mount, u wouldnt get alot of vibration, just a more solid/connected feel.

on the other hand maybe my(and others) stock motor mounts are shot(they dont absorb ****), and by putting on a more solid trans mount, more vibration came into the cabin, so it results in a un plesant ride

or maybe others had good stock mounts, that absorbed more vibrations,therefore putting less vibration to the trans mount, so adding a prothane trans mount gave a good feel, with little noise and vibration in the cabin
Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
i think it might be a combination of the mounts shareing the vibration and shake of the engine, so if u got prothane or aftermarket motor mounts combined with the the prothane trans mount, u wouldnt get alot of vibration, just a more solid/connected feel.

on the other hand maybe my(and others) stock motor mounts are shot(they dont absorb ****), and by putting on a more solid trans mount, more vibration came into the cabin, so it results in a un plesant ride

or maybe others had good stock mounts, that absorbed more vibrations,therefore putting less vibration to the trans mount, so adding a prothane trans mount gave a good feel, with little noise and vibration in the cabin
What he said^^^.

FWIW it is usually not recommended to put in a poly trans mount and not motor mounts. It adds stress to the tranny case.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks guys, i currently have ploy motor mounts, should i jus stick with the poly trans mount or switch back to the stock one??? Do any of you install the preload plate and what is the benefit if you do??
Old 02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My motor and tranny have poly mounts. More vibration than usual but nothing to worry about.....
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM
On the tree

I ahve never heard of not running poly trans mounts if you are not running poly motor mounts and I have never had issues with tranny failures due to it either.

I have the Prothane mount on my formula and it has some vibrations. Like was said some cars are more prone than others, alot of it in my eyes has to do with how well the motor and or tranny are balanced. I did notice though mone seems to have gotten a little quiter now over the last 1000 miles or so.

I would rather hear the vibration than the thump, thump, thump you get from hard powershifts the when the car pulls the stock one apart.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
CARTEK Racing

I have the Energy Suspentions trans mount as well. This is my second one, I broke the first one, not sure how, the car aint 'that' fast. LOL

I have never had a vibration that you speak off. I did not use the preload plate either times, and did not shave off the 2 bumps on the transmission side either.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some say they do it and incorrct part. For my 94 poly tranny mount did some odd stuff until it about about 1000 milse on it. I have heard lots of vibes from the m6 guys and just have the stock one right now and poly motor mounts.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I just put mine in yesterday. It seems like all my vibration is because the exhaust is hanging off of the area connected to the mount. The vibration is felt even if I am stopped if I rev it, and if I clutch in at speed (100 mph) and let the revs return to idle, stops.

Is there a way to remote mount the exhaust hanger somewhere else?