General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some issues

1st what is puzzling me is lately when I start my car all my gauges will jump and then come back down and my trip gage will always rest it self to 0 miles and wont hold the miles like it use too…any clue what this could be?

2nd my car has been hesitating when driving, it does not matter if its WOT or under normal driving. I just dropped in a cam’d ls6 motor in my Z28 and never got it tuned yet. I checked the car with the scanner and pulled up a misfire code. I checked the plugs and they looked really bad… for only having 2K miles on them. I was wondering by changing my plugs you think this will solve the problem, or could it be something els too like fuel related?

Thanks in advance
-Chris
Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On your first question is the car a '99? Happens with low battery voltage, GM issued a TSB on it. Check to be sure the battery connections are clean and/or have the battery load tested. If it's a '99 I'll find the link to it for you.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Teching In

yeah it is actuly a 99. At first i thought it was the battery so i tested it and it said charge it..so i did. Then it worked fine for a couple days and i figured with my new motor i have in there that the batt was to week. I picked up one of thoes red top optimas about a week ago and its been working fine but all of a sudden started doing it agian. If you could send the link that would be great ...thanks in advance 2001nbmz28
Old 02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New optima red top should've solved the problem. Maybe it was on the shelf for a long time and needs a good, slow trickle charge? The TSB doesn't mention the gauge sweep, but usually happens at the same time with the odo reset. Here's the link: http://home.earthlink.net/~cetera/pics/aug99tsb.jpg With a good, strong battery/gauge voltage the gauges sweep/trip odo issue should go away.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Since i charged my old bat and the problem went away and then came back....and now with the Optima the problem went away and now is back you think my alternator could be having issues? I tested it and its putting out good voltage so im lost... i'll test the batt tomorrow at work..