Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Downshift and boom

Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Downshift and boom

I was coming home tonight and downshifted from 4th to 3rd at about 40 mph to make a turn, when I reengaged the clutch I heard/felt a dull, deep boom. It sounded like it was under or behind me. the car died going up the hill I turned on. It restarted just fine but when I went to move and let the clutch out nothing happened. The clutch is a centerforce dual friction with about 3000 miles on it and had only been street driven so far, no launches. The trans has 125,000 miles on it and it was making a grinding gear noise when I shifted between 3rd and 4th too fast. I do have a short throw shifter. I had it towed to my friends shop. Has anyone had this happen to them or can tell me where I should start looking? thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

The rear end.

It grenaded
Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First/easiest thing Ide do is get the rear wheels off the ground and just start spinning things over my hand. Try it out of gear (N) first...then maybe in gear with the clutch in, with the clutch out. You will probably find out really fast where the issue is. If you STILL cant hear or feeling anything definitive, go ahead and pull the cover on the rear. That only takes a few minutes and its the best way to determine if the rear is gone.

I think Specialized is probably on the right track...sounds like the rear took a dump. But Im surprised that its not clunking and making horrible noises when you try to move. So...just poke around. It'll be pretty obvious.

Good luck man! Dont worry..anything can be fixed.

Justin
Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I pulled the rear apart today and found that the posi had grenaded. oddly enough there was no clunking and noise in the rear when I pushed in into the bay. the giveaways were the driveshaft would't rotate and the tires freespun, now I just have to decide if i can afford a better rear or if im just gonna put in a new posi to hold me for a while
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear, but it's an easy fix if just the carrier is shot. You can re-use your ring and pinion gears and everything else as long as you clean up the shavings/chuncks up. Also, I hope you rev matched when downshifting...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

yes i do rev match, I am good about being gentle to my cars which are all sticks, except for when i race them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downshift and boom