Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my vette isn't running right...what do you guys think it may be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my vette isn't running right...what do you guys think it may be?

Alright, so here's what I got. When I'm driving my car it sputters real bad and has an inconsistent miss in lower RPM's, but once it gets above 4k or so it rips it w/what seems like zero problems. We hooked it up to the computer and the #4 cylinder has a miss in it. So we changed plugs and wires and that didn't fix anything. So then we swapped around coils to see if that would make the problem show up in the coils and that didn't fix it. So next thing we did was to swap around injectors and that didn't fix anything either. I know my heads have been lifting as you can see coolant seeping out a little, so that's obviously a problem we need to address. But that wouldn't be what's causing the problem at lower rpms. What do you guys recommend the next thing I should do? Thanks--Andy

Last edited by oufan2929; 02-05-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Could be coolant fouling the plug causing the stutter. Coiud be a bad wire connector on the injector/coil. Could also be a leak if the heads have lifted enough to cause a sealing issue.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

check your valvesprings before you blow the motor
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the two above posts.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Could be coolant fouling the plug causing the stutter. Coiud be a bad wire connector on the injector/coil. Could also be a leak if the heads have lifted enough to cause a sealing issue.
But if coolant was leaking when the heads are lifting wouldn't the car run worse at higher rpms when it's at peak boost causing the head to lift thus coolant leaking into the cylinder? Just a thought. My coolant level isn't hardly low at all btw. So maybe I should look at the springs! Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Above suggestions sound good. Could it be a loss of compression in that cylinder???
Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

i couldnt find out for the life of me why my car was running so crappy....it idled fine, but ticked really bad on thepass side and if i test drove it it sounded horrible. so after I blew my motor (heads and cam blown to ****) i checked them and one of them jus fell apart as i was pulling on it.
i took the car to a shop to see if they could find out the problem and they said valvesprings are fine.....not so much.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike#9
Above suggestions sound good. Could it be a loss of compression in that cylinder???
Oh yea, forgot to mention that compression check came out 100% fine
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oufan2929
But if coolant was leaking when the heads are lifting wouldn't the car run worse at higher rpms when it's at peak boost causing the head to lift thus coolant leaking into the cylinder? Just a thought. My coolant level isn't hardly low at all btw. So maybe I should look at the springs! Thanks guys.
Once you lift the heads they should be pulled and replace the gaskets.At WOT you won't see a problem because it pushes the coolant out.At low rpm it sucks it in.