Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about stock SS exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about stock SS exhaust....

Just bought a 2000 SS with the stock exhaust, chrome tip on each side. Just curious if its the same as a stock Z with just the different tips or if it flows better. Car has Pacesetter LT's and ORY and i'm not crazy about the tone.

thanks
Pat

'00 Camaro SS A4
'87 Buick Grand National
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall correctly it is either the same as the Z or just slightly better.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may have the dual/dual, in which case, you'll have one of the best exhaust setups available, stock or aftermarket.

Can you get some pics of the tips/muffler?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LowSS
Just bought a 2000 SS with the stock exhaust, chrome tip on each side. Just curious if its the same as a stock Z with just the different tips or if it flows better. Car has Pacesetter LT's and ORY and i'm not crazy about the tone.

thanks
Pat

'00 Camaro SS A4
'87 Buick Grand National

no it's not the same. the SS/WS6 muffler is about 6 inches shorter in length and a couple inches in width and height compared to the Z28 and formula base. I still have my sisters 02 ws6 and my z28 muffler and will take measurements later today.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SS and WS6 have better flowing exhuast's aiding in the "better" BHP numbers from the factory, this comes with the perfomance package standard. From what I Think the SS/WS6 exhaust's sound good as opposed to the Z/28 and Formula stockers. .02 : )
Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Its not the dual/dual, its got a single round tip on each side. Just wondering if I should go with a new catback or just the muffler on the stocker and save the $$$, I just wasnt sure how the stock SS exhaust flowed. Friend of mine has the same setup as me except he has the SLP dual out and it has a much better tone than mine with less rasp. Thanks for the help.

pat
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LowSS
Its not the dual/dual, its got a single round tip on each side. Just wondering if I should go with a new catback or just the muffler on the stocker and save the $$$, I just wasnt sure how the stock SS exhaust flowed. Friend of mine has the same setup as me except he has the SLP dual out and it has a much better tone than mine with less rasp. Thanks for the help.

pat

pat,
Just keep the stock SS muffler on there. if you want to spend money on the exhaust and stay at the nice low rumble, upgrade your y-pipe and hi flow cats. random technology makes a great system that is direct bolt on. it took my 15 min. with a lift to take the stock out and put the new in.
good luck
Old 02-06-2007, 05:34 PM

I wish I had kept mine. that exhaust flows great. don't worry about changing it unless you really hate the sound.