Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil In Catch Can Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil In Catch Can Question

I had to drive my car today b/c it is going to a speed shop for the cam install, but i have a question i drove the car 20 miles, and the catch can had about 1/4" oil in the can.. Why after 20 miles???

Is that normal. Also it being so damn cold here, the oil was not dark in color b/c A) the oil has only about 200 miles on it b/c i did an oil change beofore i put the car in storage. And it was a milky color sorta.. Is that bad?? like i said there is not miles on this oil b/c the car really has been sitting since October....

Help.... Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

To The Top....
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Up Again To The Top.. Did Stump Ya Guys?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that seems like a lot of oil for only 20 miles. were you like redlining it the whole way lol? also about the color, yeah as soon as it got below like 50 degrees here i noticed the oil in my catchcan turned a chocolate milk color too. i was freaked out at first but i think its normal. car is running as well as ever.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 AM
That's what she said...

Probably had a little water vapor in the crankcase, turns all oil into chocolate milk when mixed.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ripper415
that seems like a lot of oil for only 20 miles. were you like redlining it the whole way lol? also about the color, yeah as soon as it got below like 50 degrees here i noticed the oil in my catchcan turned a chocolate milk color too. i was freaked out at first but i think its normal. car is running as well as ever.

umm redlining it no.. it was -9* yesterday... my car did not even want to start, i was not going to put strain on it like that.

and i figured that the chocolate milk lookin gcolor was oil in the crankcase.

But why so much only after 20 - 30 miles???
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Probably had a little water vapor in the crankcase, turns all oil into chocolate milk when mixed.

But why so much???? Is that color ok though, is there anyything worng?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Color just means some water vapors got in there, no problem with that, that's the reason for the pcv to get **** like vapors and condensation out of the crankcase/oil. As far as the amount, who knows, that might just be how much oil your PCV sucks+ the condensation.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
Color just means some water vapors got in there, no problem with that, that's the reason for the pcv to get **** like vapors and condensation out of the crankcase/oil. As far as the amount, who knows, that might just be how much oil your PCV sucks+ the condensation.

should i replace the PCV?? when i took it out and shook it, i still made that sound like spray paint makes when you shake it.. that clicky sound
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

As long as it makes the noise i'm sure its fine. Although replacing it once a year wouldn't hurt either. So it depends on the last time you replaced it.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how was the car stored, did you put additives in the gas and oil as recommended for storage. unfortunetly condesation build's up during storage and or just driving short distances. that will give you the chockolate milk. what was the weight of the oil you put in last. im guessing, maybe it was the weight and the outside temperature gave you excess pressure. i would just change the oil doesnt sound like a real problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
As long as it makes the noise i'm sure its fine. Although replacing it once a year wouldn't hurt either. So it depends on the last time you replaced it.

No noise at all. And the PCV is stock as i know it.. I have not replaced it since i got it in July of 2005

Also, got that color be a blown head gasket????
Old 02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jam01
how was the car stored, did you put additives in the gas and oil as recommended for storage. unfortunetly condesation build's up during storage and or just driving short distances. that will give you the chockolate milk. what was the weight of the oil you put in last. im guessing, maybe it was the weight and the outside temperature gave you excess pressure. i would just change the oil doesnt sound like a real problem.

Ok, no i did not put anything in the oil or gas tank. I think that it was condensation from that short drive? Water was not able to evaporate that much. I did an oil change the day that i put it in storage. So the oil has ~200 miles on it. Mobil 1 5W30. Well my cam is being installed right now so i will get an oil change again.

Could that color be a symptom of a blown head gasket?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while its in the shop have them check out your radiator for oil, and other areas. since theyll have the front of the engine apart anyway they should be able to tell you something. how much was in the oil or was it just on the cap. is your coolant fresh? by that i mean has it been tested for temperature.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jam01
while its in the shop have them check out your radiator for oil, and other areas. since theyll have the front of the engine apart anyway they should be able to tell you something. how much was in the oil or was it just on the cap. is your coolant fresh? by that i mean has it been tested for temperature.

i dont know if it was temperature tested, but the i did the coolant flush 10/2006 so that is 4 months ago... Nothing in the oil....

why would there be oil in the radiator?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, Oil/water mixture in your catch can is NORMAL. Thats what you installed it for, to catch the oil. If the car isn't comepletely heated up, or is just sitting condensation will form everywhere, when the car is fired up, some of this condensation is sucked through the PCV and dropped into the catch can along with the oil. This creates that nasty liquid/oil in your can.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it foamy? Mine was when it was really cold here and hadn't started since the day before.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Was it foamy? Mine was when it was really cold here and hadn't started since the day before.

not really, but it was being shaken around from the vacuum pulling the air in..

ERIC.. i dropped my car off yetserday for the cam... It is already done.. well needs to be tuned tomorrow. i heard it at idle
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
ERIC.. i dropped my car off yetserday for the cam... It is already done.. well needs to be tuned tomorrow. i heard it at idle
VIDEO.....now!!!! Where you posting it when you do get it?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
VIDEO.....now!!!! Where you posting it when you do get it?
dunno yet.. i will send you a pm with the link LOL..