General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Won't Start Intermittently..........

Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Won't Start Intermittently..........

I've searched for and read many threads on the same or similar subjects as this and couldn't really find a resolution. Here's the deal.......

Fairly often now when I go to start my car it will not start, sometimes it will start several times in a row though. The only thing you can hear when you turn the key is the relay I presume. All of the electronics come on and the security light does not stay on. If I keep turning the key as I do to start the vehicle it will eventually start. Most of the time I have to turn it 20+ times before it will start however. I've bypassed the VATS and I replaced a corroded battery cable. I assume the only things left are the starter and ignition lock cylinder? Does anyone have a definite answer for this problem? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

starter or fuel pump would be my guess.....
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do your lights dim and do you have a humming or whining sound coming from your car? If so you may have a bad ground or bad connection under the fuse box. I'm looking at the same problem right now. I bypassed my VATS last weekend and my car ran fine for about one week. This problem started Friday and I'm looking into it right now. I called up the dealership to see if they would give me a quote on the fuse box and they basically told me I would need the entire engine harness. They must think I'm stupid or something but I bet they get a bunch of people like that all the time. I mean they've stayed in business for over 30 years right.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Do your lights dim and do you have a humming or whining sound coming from your car? If so you may have a bad ground or bad connection under the fuse box. I'm looking at the same problem right now. I bypassed my VATS last weekend and my car ran fine for about one week. This problem started Friday and I'm looking into it right now. I called up the dealership to see if they would give me a quote on the fuse box and they basically told me I would need the entire engine harness. They must think I'm stupid or something but I bet they get a bunch of people like that all the time. I mean they've stayed in business for over 30 years right.
No, neither of those problems occur. Everythign works fine except the fact that it doesn't start intermittently.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
I assume the only things left are the starter and ignition lock cylinder?
Other possibility: If your car is an automatic, check to see if you have a neutral safety switch. I've gotten home by making a U out of a piece of paper clip (insulated with tape) and using it on the connector to the switch with the heavy gage purple wires. This bypasses the switch. If it's a manual, some have a similar switch on the clutch pedal.

Search this Thread