Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which spring in my oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which spring in my oil pump

I just got a high pressure pump from melling (SP) Should I use the high pressure red spring which came in it or should I change it to the blue spring which is less pressure I assume? I have a 98 ls1 camaro with 138,000 miles, Doing a cam soon and headers, But it is a stock bottom end. What do you guys think? Will it hurt anything to have more pressure? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
I just got a high pressure pump from melling (SP) Should I use the high pressure red spring which came in it or should I change it to the blue spring which is less pressure I assume? I have a 98 ls1 camaro with 138,000 miles, Doing a cam soon and headers, But it is a stock bottom end. What do you guys think? Will it hurt anything to have more pressure? Thanks for any help.
BLUE, BLUE, BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! red spring is to much pressure. i always install the blue spring in my pumps.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What will too much pressure cause?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
What will too much pressure cause?
to much oil up top, and can blow the o-ring off the oil filter and robs to much hp. trust me if you have the melling #10296 pump, install the blue spring, it will give you 40psi+ at idle hot w/5w30 mobil 1 and 65psi+ wot. more than enough for your combo.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys i used the blue spring started it up tonight good pressure so far, Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

40psi+ at idle hot w/5w30 mobil 1 and 65psi+ wot.

I have this with the stock oil pump.. Is there any reason to go with a melling?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

i installed a cnc ported ls6 hi pressure oil pump but didnt come with any springs. it was assembled and i put it on my 98 motor with 50k miles. i run the castrol germen 0w30 synthetic and at idle mine gets 28 to 30 psi, cruising on freeway its like 45 psi im scared to rev it up because my friend installed a hand ported ls6 oil pump hi pressure and at idle warm his is at 50psi and at wot its 80psi. he is running the same oil!!maybee mines not hi pressure ? oh wellm let me know what you guys think. thanks

I did a little research on my ebay and what i bought . i actually bought this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120049102943

dont say high pressure but it says Katech LS1 LS6 LS2 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 Blueprinted Oil Pumps

Last edited by daftdrifting; 02-18-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

How does this differ from what you had before.. Sure you didnt pinch the o-ring? I have heard of dropping oil pressure because the oil pumps are ported and have a higher flow.

The thing I dont understand is...

I see people saying that more flow and more pressure are 2 different things.. I can understand this if its talking about the entire passage being a higher flowing passage.. But if you just increase the flow rate of the pump it still has the same passage with still has the same resistance but the pump is pushing more oil... How does that not create more pressure?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
How does this differ from what you had before.. Sure you didnt pinch the o-ring? I have heard of dropping oil pressure because the oil pumps are ported and have a higher flow.

The thing I dont understand is...

I see people saying that more flow and more pressure are 2 different things.. I can understand this if its talking about the entire passage being a higher flowing passage.. But if you just increase the flow rate of the pump it still has the same passage with still has the same resistance but the pump is pushing more oil... How does that not create more pressure?
your probably right about the pressure! i dont think it would just somthing i read that said that on a forum. well i know i didnt pinch it but in my timing cover kit from felpro it came with 2 different o rings for pickup tube. one grayish black one and one green one. the green was was kinda to big and couldnt get pickup tube to seat in the oilpump. the other one worked fine and looked similar to the stock one. i should have just reused the original o ring. also i never ran this motor before i did a swap into my 240sx. since i heard about 98 oil pump failing for no reason i wanted to put a ls6 pump so i went with the katech. i just trying to figure out if 28 to 30 psi at idle is good and cruising 40 to 45psi is ok on freeway