Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pressure plate bolts, flywheel??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pressure plate bolts, flywheel??

In the past, I've read about people who could hear noises coming from the center of the car that sound like loose marbles and think its the flywheel or pressure plate bolts. I kind of have this noise but its not very loud so its hard to distinguish but, when I push the clutch in the noise goes away. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem. As long as your car is shifting fine you should be okay. If your car starts acting up and shifting bad def. check your pressure plate bolts and slave cylinder.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Are you sure because I just had my transmission rebuilt (like a lot of ****, two gears, the counter shaft, all bearings, and a few other things) and I cant afford to have anything else go bad. Any other opinions??
Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the noise goes away when you push in the clutch, I think it is the Input Shaft Bearing, or just regular noise from the tranny.

Do you have a Poly trans mount?
If not, is your stock trans mount still in good shape?

I can hear the actual trans noise through my shifter (sounds like gears meshing, but very quiet) when in N with the clutch pedal out. I can also hear a little bit of slap which I believe is my 122K Mi old Input Shaft bearing.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go with the throwout bearing. When you push in the clutch, pressure is put on the bearing which can cause the noise to stop. The TO bearing is always spinning, but the change in pressure on it can cause a change in noise. It's probably not the pilot bearing, because when you push in the clutch it starts spinning, and would thus make noise. The TO bearing in my brother's Supra made an identical noise that you are describing.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I'm going to go with the throwout bearing. When you push in the clutch, pressure is put on the bearing which can cause the noise to stop. The TO bearing is always spinning, but the change in pressure on it can cause a change in noise. It's probably not the pilot bearing, because when you push in the clutch it starts spinning, and would thus make noise. The TO bearing in my brother's Supra made an identical noise that you are describing.

Damn, you beat me to it.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably input shaft bearing.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I doubt its the input shaft bearing cause i had all the bearings inside the tranny replaced when it was out. But I will look into it anyway, thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah another vote for the throwout bearing. i had the same noise before i put in my new clutch, slave, and T/O bearing. once i got everything back together the sound was gone.

P.S. all the PP and flywheel bolts were tight as hell when i pulled everything apart. so im guessing it was my throwout bearing that was causing the noise.