General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

paper on driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default paper on driving

hey i have an assignment that I know yall can help me with. Alright, this is a research paper that covers a growing disturbing issue. I have chosen my topic to be how American drivers are getting worse and worse while europeans have some of the safest roasds in the world.
Now, i know there are at least a million ways to go from this, but one particular thing i want ot stay off of is " American teens are too young" I know that if that gets started then ill never get my thread back. I just need some stories, facts, numbers that would be good. I figured that some of yall may have lived in europe for awhile or at least visited and I want to know some stuff that you saw there that might help me out.

Too get started, what intrigues me is the way Americans look at driving: a chore. Europeans try to get the full experince of it. That is why most Americnas would rather have a huge spacy home (SUV) than an actual car, think about if a car was marketed here now without any of the luxuries we've grown to love. I mean, take a lotus elise. That car is a drivers car, no power steering, all kinds of rattles, and i dont even think it has a cup holder. But it drives like a dream. And those guys love it. MAbye that can get yall started. Any info would be great, dont hold back, thanks, Grey
Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off for your paper if anyone puts up facts/numbers make sure you get a source otherwise it's worth as much as well...nothing. The same goes for finding sources online, make sure they are credible.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A prime example would be the Autobahn system. Closing speeds of 100+ MPH. Drivers over there check their mirrors and use the passing lane for, well, passing. Most Americans are too stupid to understand these concepts.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

we have a major amount of drivers in this country that can neither speak english or even have a DL.....

we have also a very relaxed system on DUI's and tickets....

our roads are also not up to par with some of the european roads....ie in germany some of the roads are 3 feet thick, which results in better road systems and better traction and less wrecks

we also MANY more people on the road compared to europe
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

all things stated above are useless... as said before, need credible sources!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, this is a good post, i'll start of by saying, I have driven on MANY different US roads, Canadian and A "smidge" in England(about 2k mi worth of driving). I would rate Canadian drivers as being the worst, the US in a close second, and European drivers in A HUGE distant last!

When i drove in Europe(I was in a RHD Focus 5 spd), I couldn't believe how well everyone follows the rules of the road and the traffic is always moving(I believe round-abouts are a big help in keeping everything moving). There was never once in the 4 days of driving that i even got a bit upset or said "loook at this ______", it was great, and sooooo refreshing! The roads there at times a bit small and you have to be paying attn(lol, more for me since it was a different side of the road, and side of the car to drive on!), but overall was one of the best experiences driving wise Ive ever had. Even in Amsterdam, its an AMAZING migration of boats, cars, trams and over a million bikes within the city. At rush hour, everything moves(even if slowly), the horn is used as a LAST resort and thats if someone is doing something CLEARLY f'ed up! We had bikes at that point, and even then there seemed to be a feeling of responsibility and paying attention to what your doin, it just seemed like more of a tolerance for everyone.

On US roads, i have had decent experiences on them, especially highways. I found people were quite good at "flashin" people in, left a good amount of space between vehicles, and no ********* driving 25mph in the fastlane(well fewer cases than in Canada!). City traffic can be a lot like Torontos(IMO).....crazy!(Ive driven in Buffalo, NY City, Philly, and milwauke) But overall traffic on the highways fairs pretty well, it would be nice however to see a 75mph limit on ALL highways(those 55 zones are almost killer!). My old man used to drive us for vacations down to virginia beach and all over the east coast, and he would look forward to the drive just cause "the drivers had a bit of a clue!"

As for Canada......hahaha, well i guess everyone will complain more about where they are from, but I seldom DON'T have a trip(even if its around the corner) where im just flabergasted at the stupidity/arogance in some peoples driving. I mean even corn flakes wouldn't give out licenses to these people!!! population in my area has more than doubled in the last 5 yrs or so, so with new people, come new idiots I guess! It was funny too because when i came back from England, the first thing i wanted to do was DRIVE! I got into the drivers seat at the airport, by the time i reached home, it was time for a double to calm the nerves!!!!

I am hoping to save up to rent something sick and hit the autobahn or even just tour some of the European roads, Its a great experience just to drive there! I mean even for me to be thrown into a manual car(sry guys i drive my auto gtp most of the time!), on the wrong side of the car and road, and still everything was like clockwork, absolutely no worries. But I think its more of a personal opinion than anything else. Probably if i was to drive long enough on the other side of the pond, it would turn into the same story as here.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all your input, it helps alot more than you know

As far as the source thing, dont worry about that, ill handle it. shouldnt be too big of a probelem finding a source i can use to bakc these numbers up, but i just wanted some personal stories and thoughts to go along with the paper.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, I interviewed an Autobahn trooper who patrols near a U.S. base of some sort. Forget the details. But, they dislike American drivers there, not because of lack of skill, but because of lack of familiarity. He was a foreign exchange student that came back for a visit with his "foster parents" or whatever they're called.

Look up the rules of the road for the Autobahn. They are an interesting read and could double as filler if you need more words.

If you want too get a good interview, Google the Autobahn and find one of it's police enforcement agencies, then write a very short e-mail to them and list five questions or so. You might get a good reply and be able to quote their answers. Remember when writing that English is not their native language.

However, I think your paper's topic is total bull ****. To think that Americans (or Mongols, or Greeks, or Ethiopians) are any worse or better drivers than another nationality is ridiculous. I love how you just pull out of your ***: "the way Americans look at driving: a chore. Europeans try to get the full experince of it. That is why most Americnas would rather have a huge spacy home (SUV) than an actual car." That's all so stupid on so many levels.

But, you'll want the reason that's much closer to the truth for your paper. Americans say they want SUVs because they feel safer, which basically means that they want fair better than the other guy if they get in a wreck. I feel like punching every SUV owner when they say that, and a **** load of them say that. I wouldn't doubt that if you asked five SUV owners why they wanted one, that would be their first or second reply. That should go great with your paper.

Also note that some were former minivan drivers, who found that the SUVs handle and ride much better, but still give the same amount of space.

Have you ever stopped to think that Americans drive a **** LOAD more than any other nation? Or that there are more of us on the road at any given time? Those are simple facts to support.

Bar none, every exchange student I have interviewed has mentioned that we drive to places they would walk. How many times have you driven four or five blocks?

You need to interview police form your area as well. I'd recommend calling the state police too. I'm sure if you tell them what you're doing and ask if you can set up a time for a quick five minute interview, it will be worth it for your paper. Just don't go to them with any of your hair brained pre-conceived ideas.

Just ask them, "Are drivers getting better or worse or do you see little difference over the years?"

I bet I'll know what they'll say (betcha can't guess how I know), "About the same, but there are more and more of them."

The other people you would want to call is your local DMV. You know, the people who give the driver's tests? You think they might know if drivers are getting better or worse?

Good luck with your paper, I guess. Shouldn't be very hard to support your theory, though barring my profession, I could easily shred it to pieces with a paper offering the exact opposite opinion.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stockV6
all things stated above are useless... as said before, need credible sources!!!
who the hell are you?....for what i stated to help this guy out I AM the source......ive written more tickets, worked more accidents, and done more in service training hours on traffic....then you could dream of.... ....useless my ***