General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

faint popping/creaking sound at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default faint popping/creaking sound at low rpms

i noticed the past couple days that sometimes when I let off the gas at low speeds i hear a very faint and subtle popping or creaking flutter sound from underneath the car. you can only hear it when the music is totally off, and it doesnt seem to be affecting driveability at all as the car run's as perfect as ever. it's not backfiring at all because it sounds different than that. the car has 102k miles on it,, so is this sound something I should be concerned about or just a normal rattle and squeak that comes with an almost 10 year old car? thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

also it's been colder here than usual the past few days.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What your describing sounds simular to a noise that was haunting me last year. Mine turned out to be a few small exhaust leaks - found where the cat matched up to the header, both sides.

We got the car up on a lift, and listened with a hose in one ear, to pin point any leaks. Then using a flat end, banged any crimps out flat, and sealed up again with new band clamps.

The trouble is, its tough to get band clamps in that area.
But we managed, and it cleared up that noise!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

so maybe the cold air opened up a tiny leak or two a little bit more,, hopefully that's the case. btw i see you're from rochester, i grew up in pittsford and most of my family lives in henrietta.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

today was a little bit warmer, and i listened to the car today and didnt hear the noise at all,, so whatever it was i'm guessing it was temperature-oriented.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
today was a little bit warmer, and i listened to the car today and didnt hear the noise at all,, so whatever it was i'm guessing it was temperature-oriented.
Ah yes, I should have mentioned - I only heard those noises when my car was up to temp! I dont know why that made a differance, but it did.

So yeah, I also grew up in Pittsord as a kid, I now live in Greece, and work in Henrietta! Do you get back here much to visit? Look me up this summer if you make it back this way.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Teching In

If your car still has the AIR system intact, that's probably what it is. When it's cold out, the AIR system tries to keep the CAT warm, and when you let off the gas, that's what's causing the popping sound. It happens in my car when it's cold outside, completely normal
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Goog thought...tho, I removed my AIR system, I had these sounds before & after. Also mine makes the noises when warmed up, not when cold.

On my end, it was definetly the exhaust leaks, right at the cats to the headers.