Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Air cap on top of 10-bolt. Is supposed to be "fall out" loose?

Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cap on top of 10-bolt. Is supposed to be "fall out" loose?

Don't know what it is really called, but it's that little beige colored plastic tube with a plastic cap assembly that relieves pressure in the differential. Several months ago I started getting oil around the differential. It wasn't the pan leaking.

Since I am replacing the brakes (C5 system up front, refitting the rears) and fabricating a dual exhaust over the axle system, I decided to pull the 10-bolt to clean up and paint with some POR-15, and clean up the rest of the suspension. (going to add a UMI torque arm as well...but I digress). Come to find out that the entire top of the differential is covered in dirt and oil around this little tube. Not soaking wet, but definitely leaking out past this little plastic tube. It is so loose, it would just fall out from gravity if I turned the differential over.

Once I clean the case up and paint it I want to reinstall this little bugger permanently. I have considered tapping it and replacing with a metal assembly. Anyone know what would be a good option? If I decide to use the same plastic assembly, any ideas what type of sealant will best withstand the differential oil and not leak again?

Thanx in advance....

Search this Thread