General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

getting out of loan

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting out of loan

Ive been on this site for a while envying at all the LS1's. I just bought my car last April in an attempt to get into something quick since my old car took a crap. Im tired of having a V6 and starting looking at TA's and Z28's.

The bird is the first car ive purchased. Im wondering can I try and sell my bird, use that money to pay off the loan and buy a Z28 or TA for around 12k? The car currently has 60,000 miles on it. All the cars ive been looking at have higher around 85,000 miles. What do you guys think sell the bird and get a LS1 or stick with the bird and pay it off?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do you owe on it? If you find a LS1 on a dealership, if they give you near what you owe, you can roll that little bit that is left onto your new loan for the LS1. I personally wouldn't do more that $1500 tops in that scenario.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firebird5134
Ive been on this site for a while envying at all the LS1's. I just bought my car last April in an attempt to get into something quick since my old car took a crap. Im tired of having a V6 and starting looking at TA's and Z28's.

The bird is the first car ive purchased. Im wondering can I try and sell my bird, use that money to pay off the loan and buy a Z28 or TA for around 12k? The car currently has 60,000 miles on it. All the cars ive been looking at have higher around 85,000 miles. What do you guys think sell the bird and get a LS1 or stick with the bird and pay it off?
There are a lot of variables that you need to personally address. First of all is can you afford an increase in both car payment and car insurance? If the answer is yes then I would not hesitate to find a good deal on a Z28, Formula, TA, ect. You'll just spend several years being disappointed with what you are driving now if you don't.

I've had loans before where as much as $2500 in deficit was put into the new car loan. It sucks for sure but it's better to pay 3-4 years of higher car payment now for the car you want then to pay 3-4 years now on a car you don't only to start another 3-4 year loan after that.

But if you can't afford any increase in payment and or Insurance then you would do well to consider keeping your Firebird until the finances improve. You don't want to get in over your head and have a repo on your credit report.

And if you do buy a LS1 then make 110% sure you get the transmission you want. Too many people switching from A4 to M6 because they want to shift themselves as well as a handful of M6 guys swapping to A3 or A4 because they want to competitively drag race at a local track. Get the one you really want now or it'll cost you thousands later to correct it.

Good Luck.