General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone replaced airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone replaced airbags?

I got into an accident last week and both airbags deployed. The body shop wants to charge me 1600 bucks for the bags alone which i can find on ebay for around 50. I did some searching on the forum and i couldn't find any definate answer on what needs to be done. Is there any sensor on the front end?? or just a solid state device in the center console? Can I just plug and play?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Here is the most useful info I have been able to find thus far....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...eplace+airbags
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

From the service manual:

Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision
Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment -- Component Inspections

CAUTION

Proper operation of the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) sensing system requires that any repairs to the vehicle structure return the vehicle structure to the original production configuration. Not properly repairing the vehicle structure could cause non-deployment of the air bag(s) in a frontal collision or deployment of the air bag(s) for conditions less severe than intended.

After any collision, inspect the following components as indicated. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed.

* Steering column -- Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures. Refer to Steering Column Accident Damage Inspection - Off Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column -- Tilt.
* IP Knee Bolsters -- Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* IP brackets, braces, etc. -- Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* Seat Belts -- Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks. Refer to Seat Belt Checks in Seat Belts.

Accident With Air Bag Deployment -- Component Replacement and Inspections

After a collision involving air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

* Inflatable restraint IP (inflator) module
* Inflatable restraint steering wheel (inflator) module
* Inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) (this is on the floor tunnel, below the rear of console)

After a collision involving air bag deployment, inspect the Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil and the coil wiring pigtail for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat. Perform this component inspection in addition to the inspections indicated above in Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed.
Sensor Replacement Guidelines

The SIR sensor replacement policy requires replacing sensors in the area of accident damage. The area of accident damage is defined as the portion of the vehicle which is crushed, bent, or damaged due to a collision. For example, a moderate collision where the front of the vehicle impacts a tree. If the vehicle has a SIR sensor mounted forward of the radiator, it must be replaced.

* Replace the sensor whether or not the air bags have deployed.
* Replace the sensor even if it appears to be undamaged.

Sensor damage which is not visible, such as slight bending of the mounting bracket or cuts in the wire insulation, can cause improper operation of the SIR sensing system. Do not try to determine whether the sensor is undamaged, replace the sensor. Also, if you follow a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) table and a malfunctioning sensor is indicated, replace the sensor.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

airbags are expensive and there are sensors on the front end. if there werent what would sense an impact and amke them pop?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dcamcoz28
Is there any sensor on the front end?? or just a solid state device in the center console? Can I just plug and play?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
....LOL!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tainted
airbags are expensive and there are sensors on the front end. if there werent what would sense an impact and amke them pop?
I don't think there are sensors in the front end of the car. I've spent quite a bit of quality time with my service manuals, and as far as the air bag system goes, I think the "computer" under the center console is the sole dedection device.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
I don't think there are sensors in the front end of the car. I've spent quite a bit of quality time with my service manuals, and as far as the air bag system goes, I think the "computer" under the center console is the sole dedection device.
can anyone else confirm this? i was also in an accident and need my bags replaced, i know about the the module in the middle console...and i dont want to have the shop BS me and say i need sensors and other crap. because they can really get in the a$$ if we dont know exactly what we may need. thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the airbags in mine and the deployment sensor, I beleive my clock spring is fine. Is tere any kind of computer settings I need changed or reset after the deployment?

And if anyone needs them I have a good passenger airbag and module...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The module under the console is the deployment device. To install new bags you usually need the clock spring in the column, the module and the complete dash with the passenger bag.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensing unit under the console is completely resonsible for the deployment of the airbag system.

I have done this before. No relearn was required.

You should be able to get everything you need for 800 dollars or less. Get used airbags online. Get a new sensing unit from the dealer. Windshield excluded from this price. Epoxy the dash pad back on.